Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2005, 07:12 PM

Default ($33): All-in with a caller, AK out of position call/raise/push?

No reads on the caller.

What’s my best line here?

PartyPoker - NL Texas Hold'em $30 Buy-in + $3 Entry Fee Tournament | Level: 2 - 9 players (Converter: PGC)

Chip Counts:
Button: 585 Chips
<font color="red">Hero: 740 Chips</font>
BB: 660 Chips
UTG: 85 Chips
UTG+1: 865 Chips
MP1: 1745 Chips
MP2: 770 Chips
MP3: 1605 Chips
CO: 945 Chips

Hero is SB with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Blinds are 15/30

PreFlop
UTG is All-In, <font color="blue">UTG+1 folds</font>, <font color="blue">MP1 folds</font>, <font color="blue">MP2 folds</font>, <font color="blue">MP3 folds</font>, <font color="green">CO Calls</font>, <font color="blue">Button folds</font>
Hero ????
Old 11-21-2005, 07:26 PM

Default Re: ($33): All-in with a caller, AK out of position call/raise/push?

Good questions. With no reads on the caller I would probably make the assumption he had an OK hand and was trying to go one-on-one with the bettor. I would normally re-raise a decent amount (like an additional $150).

If I had position on the caller I would probably call, but since you won't have position I would force him to make a decision now. If he went all-in after that you would probably assume he had a pocket pair and decide if you want to take the coin flip. More likely I would assume he had Ax.

I will be interested to see what others say.

GL
Old 11-21-2005, 07:48 PM

Insta-push for me.
Old 11-21-2005, 07:58 PM

The 2 obvious lines are pushing, which isn't a bad option IMO, and calling. I think there's a decent enough chance that if you just call, you can check it down if you don't hit because people love to check down hands that they shouldn't at this level just because someone is all-in.

I think both of these lines are alright. One line that I'm wondering about would be to re-raise a decent about, like to t200, and then push any flop. I think I like this because I'm thinking that CO folds enough so that even if UTG wins, you still break even (from the additional chips CO put in PF).
Old 11-21-2005, 11:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
One line that I'm wondering about would be to re-raise a decent about, like to t200, and then push any flop. I think I like this because I'm thinking that CO folds enough so that even if UTG wins, you still break even (from the additional chips CO put in PF).

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this line, would be interested in hearing others comments on it...
Old 11-21-2005, 11:49 PM

I'd actually fold. AK is not a good three-way hand. There aren't many scenarios where you're a significant favorite and you're risking potentially all your chips!

Personally, I think good tournament theory dictates a fold.
Old 11-21-2005, 11:53 PM

I like to push here...i dont like the fold as the all-in is likely beaten or at best a coin flip im guessing...and the caller probably wants him heads up...a nice reraise would do nice here and then probably push if he calls...that's my two cents
Old 11-22-2005, 12:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd actually fold. AK is not a good three-way hand. There aren't many scenarios where you're a significant favorite and you're risking potentially all your chips!

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to disagree here. UTG range is huge here, so often when you see someone crippled this early they will push with any two. As for the caller's range, it is very wide as well, he is just calling slightly less than a 3xBB raise. AK is way ahead of any non-pair here, and only slightly behind almost all pocket pairs.

Also, AK is not good three-way? AK is a drawing hand and a very powerfull one and we are essentially going to be 2-handed anyway.

[ QUOTE ]
Personally, I think good tournament theory dictates a fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you elaborate on this?
Old 11-22-2005, 12:13 AM

It all depends on what kind fo line you take. I would def repop with position and esp OOP. A raise of 200 here would be nice, UTGs range is huge, and this would be a hand you would like to get heads up with. If you call you could also have BB comming in as well weakening the strength of your hand. If the caller wanted to get HU he would have reraised here, unless he had a monster.
Old 11-22-2005, 12:28 AM

I think I'm mistaken here and I'm changing my answer to push. I thought the all-in was greater.

You build a significant side-pot with one of the best heads racing hands in hold'em. My thinking only applies really if it's a three-way all-in where you are all about equal in chips, then AK is somewhat suicidal.

Folding would be bad. I'd just go all-in to nullify positional disadvantage, build a bigger pot with a good hand, and eliminate the field if the other guy wants to drop.