Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2005, 12:30 PM

Default Sometimes you get AQ and wish you hadn\'t.

Villain's been at the table for about 5 hands. This is the only one he's been excited about.

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, Hero calls, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: (9 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 folds, SB calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, SB folds, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 caps</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (9 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 10 BB

I suspect the flop 3-bet was probably a little spewy. Is the turn fold weak? I don't like the way I played this hand, but I don't know why.
Old 09-14-2005, 12:31 PM

Default Re: Sometimes you get AQ and wish you hadn\'t.

3-bet or fold preflop. I don't care for the flop 3-bet the way it played out. He's essentially drawn you a picture of his hand.
Old 09-14-2005, 12:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Villain's been at the table for about 5 hands. This is the only one he's been excited about.

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, Hero calls, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: (9 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 folds, SB calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, SB folds, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 caps</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (9 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 10 BB

I suspect the flop 3-bet was probably a little spewy. Is the turn fold weak? I don't like the way I played this hand, but I don't know why.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't *EVER* (well -- basically never) be the first to cold-call preflop. Cold-calling is reserved for multiway pots when you have a multiway hand. The only time you would be the first cold-caller is if you knew you had at least 2 or 3 100 VPIP donks behind you just itching to play a hand. And even then, you've got to think about it because you're not in good position to pump up the pot.

Don't 3-bet the flop check-raise. Just call it down from there.
Old 09-14-2005, 12:38 PM

3-bet or fold preflop. I tend to fold w/o reads.

I think post flop is really really bad. I likely call his check raise and call down. Let him bluff if you are ahead and you loose less if you're behind. As you played it why call the flop cap if you're folding the turn?

So my major point is this, if we're calling his UTG PF raise without any reads, we have to see a showdown if our flop hits. If we're giving him credit for AA,KK,or AK why are we calling in the first place?
Old 09-14-2005, 12:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
3-bet or fold preflop. I tend to fold w/o reads.

I think post flop is really really bad. I likely call his check raise and call down. Let him bluff if you are ahead and you loose less if you're behind. As you played it why call the flop cap if you're folding the turn?

So my major point is this, if we're calling his UTG PF raise without any reads, we have to see a showdown if our flop hits. If we're giving him credit for AA,KK,or AK why are we calling in the first place?

[/ QUOTE ]

FWIW I think 3-betting is better than folding in this spot but if he's an unknown either way. We're not putting him on AA-KK and AK preflop, we're putting him on these hands (and occasionally AQ/AJ) based on the flop action.
Old 09-14-2005, 12:41 PM

I started out not hating the flop 3-bet to try and get SB to fold, but now that I think about it, I don't mind an overcall from SB. I probably call the flop and pop the turn.

The turn fold is weaksauce. You could be looking at anything from a weak ace to a strong king to a Broadway pair that doesn't have a set, and that's a big pot.
Old 09-14-2005, 12:45 PM

Yes that's not really what I meant to say, though it is what I said [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] I more mean that absent reads there is no reason to give him credit for AA, KK, or AK, and we should see a showdown. I dislike the flop three bet as it pushes out SB who is likely padding the pot, I don't mind giving him odds to draw b/c we are likely behind as it is.
Old 09-14-2005, 12:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The turn fold is weaksauce. You could be looking at anything from a weak ace to a strong king to a Broadway pair that doesn't have a set, and that's a big pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

What? Villain raised preflop and check/raised-capped an AKx flop. What are you putting him on that can't beat AQ?
Old 09-14-2005, 12:47 PM

We are playing against a player at party .5/1 that we have no reads or stats on. We have to be good 1/5 times for this to be profitable. Easy call down.
Old 09-14-2005, 01:03 PM

Wow, I'm batting a thousand today. Oh well.

I probably should've 3-bet preflop - not sure precisely what I was thinking when I didn't. Probable answer: I wasn't thinking at all. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

But you really do think I'll be good even one time in five here? I guess it's possible he's playing maybe AJ balls-to-the-wall, but...