Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 03-30-2004, 03:50 PM

Default Add-ons

I know this has been asked plenty of times before, but when should you not take the add-on if offered (its a paradise tourney so add-on is 2500 for the original buy-in price which was for 1500)

I guess the more specific question is: If you are the chip leader at the break, is the add-on worth it?
My thoughts are no.
Old 03-30-2004, 04:06 PM

Default Re: Add-ons

Unless you control some massive number of the chips in play (like 10% or more), I'm pretty sure the answer is yes, especially when you are getting such a better chip/dollar rate on the add-on.

At that point in the tournament, there are still hundreds of players left, so chip equity is close enough to cash equity that you shouldn't really be concerned about the difference unless you have *so* many chips that the marginal value of these extra ones is actually lower than their cost, but as I said, that really only starts happening when you control 10% of more of the chips in play, and unless you have had more luck than a sack full of leprachauns, that just ain't happening in these big online tournaments.
Old 03-30-2004, 07:22 PM

I decided not to take it, I had a pretty decent chip lead at that point and was still ahead after second place took an add-on. It just felt wrong to essentially double my buy-in when it didn't change my relative chip position and didn't increase my chances of making the money by anywhere close to the amount of extra real-money it was costing me.

P.S> I went on to win the thing off my original buy-in, so if it was a mistake I don't think it could have been much of one.
Old 03-30-2004, 08:11 PM

Well, almost nothing is every really *that* big of a mistake, that's kind of the nature of the beast; it's just little edges that add up over time. With a big chip lead, it's probably closer than it might otherwise be, but with the big discount you were getting on the add-on, I would have taken it almost no matter what.

Congrats on winning!
Old 03-30-2004, 09:40 PM

Generally I use a 100 BB rule. If I have 100 big blinds and the add-on is only 10 more, I generally won't. In large field rebuy tourneys this can often be the case.
Old 03-30-2004, 10:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It just felt wrong to essentially double my buy-in when it didn't change my relative chip position and didn't increase my chances of making the money by anywhere close to the amount of extra real-money it was costing me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fuzzy thinking.

The issue isn't whether this doubling of your investment will double your return. That's irrelevant. The issue is whether the $x you spend on this addon will increase your EV by more or less than $x. Thus, if you stack has an EV of $100, the addon is $10, and your new EV, after the addon, will be $112, then you are making $2 by taking the addon.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)
Old 03-30-2004, 11:26 PM

OK, I think I get it now. So if I have a 22500 stack, with 1Million in play and a 16K prize pool, my stack should be worth about $360. A 25K stack would be worth about $400 so I should take a $30 add-on becasue it would give me a $40 return.

Not sure of the math, ut its really close with a big lead. I know I would have taken it if I had a couple 1000 less.