Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded

Old 11-10-2005, 07:36 PM

Default Looking for a coach.

Mostly HU-4handed. 10/20+. Hopefully a long term deal. I'm running insanely badly (short term -300BB swing) and I think working with a coach might help me iron out some of my leaks.

Any recommendations?

Rob
Old 11-10-2005, 07:40 PM

Default Re: Looking for a coach.

If you find somebody good, I'd appreciate you messaging me because I'm looking for the same thing.
Old 11-10-2005, 11:22 PM

not what I wanted to see. Then again in another 40k hands I might have to consider it.
Old 11-11-2005, 12:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
not what I wanted to see. Then again in another 40k hands I might have to consider it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I just need to plug my [censored] leaks now. I'm confident I'm a winner at 10/20 but the variance is definitely hurting my patience and confidence. I'm working hard on tilt control and did fairly well until yesterday. In retrospect I played a few hands really badly yesterday, but LAGs definitely make it hard not to pay off when you have a hand that is supposed to pay off. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Rob
Old 11-11-2005, 12:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
but LAGs definitely make it hard not to pay off when you have a hand that is supposed to pay of

[/ QUOTE ]
Of course you know this, but don't feel bad about paying these guys off when you have to. I find that these are exactly the kind of hands that I second guess myself about when I'm running bad, but second guessing these kinds of hands can lead to developing a propensity to fold too much so be careful.

I feel like you are a stronger player than me, so you are probably also mentally stronger so you probably don't need the last paragraph. But I'll offer it up to you anyway, and hopefully you can make some use of it.

The variance at 10/20 is heavy and rough. It's not fun when you're running bad, and it's certainly not fun losing big pots to players who you really feel are worse than you. Because of the extremely aggressive nature of the game though, it does happen. Don't be hard on yourself when you pay a guy off, don't be hard on yourself when you fold, don't be hard on yourself when you _know_ you've just made a bad play, because in this type of game all of those things are going to happen. And you're going to feel like an absolute donkey sometimes, or you are just not playing good poker. At least that is my opinion.

I don't know how many tables you play, but right now I am 2-tabling 10/20 6max and have been for a while. I gotta say that I've never been happier, never had more ease of mind, and never had a higher winrate (and hourly rate) than since I have started 2-tabling. It has also allowed me to make significant developments in my game. I highly reccomend giving it a shot if you're playing more than 2 tables.

Best of luck to you entity. I have heard that Alobar is a really good shorthanded coach, don't know if he still does it or not though.
Old 11-11-2005, 12:38 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

there are very few people who both close enough to your level that they can teach you enough, and good enough of a coach that they'd be willing to coach as skilled a player as yourself. it's a lot of pressure on a coach to teach a player who is already very good. it's much easier to teach someone who likes to open limp with QJo
Old 11-11-2005, 01:14 PM

Hey Rob. Make a video of your next session and post it. I'll definitely look it over for you (others probably will too).
Old 11-11-2005, 01:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hey Rob. Make a video of your next session and post it. I'll definitely look it over for you (others probably will too).

[/ QUOTE ]

Dane,

Thanks. Will definitely do.

Rob
Old 11-11-2005, 07:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
not what I wanted to see. Then again in another 200BBs I might have to consider it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-11-2005, 07:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
not what I wanted to see. Then again in another 200BBs I might have to consider it.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I want to run good sometime. I need to video up a session sometime, admittedly. Just soooo lazy.