Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded

Old 11-10-2005, 02:01 AM

Default Please teach me how to win at poker

I didn't play much online once the party split happened. Now I'm back playing online and I noticed that in my last 17K hands I have lost 450BB at mulitple limits. I clearly suck. I played this hand today. Villain is unknown. Thoughts?

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is CO with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls,1 fold</font>,Hero raises</font>, Button calls, 2 folds</font>, UTG calls.

Flop: (7.40 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img](3 players)
UTG checks, Hero bets</font>, Button folds, UTG calls.

Turn: (4.70 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2 players)</font>
UTG checks, Hero bets</font>, UTG calls.

River: (6.70 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2 players)</font>
UTG bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 8.70 BB
Old 11-10-2005, 02:09 AM

Default Re: Please teach me how to win at poker

Bob, you need to muck this somewhere. If you want to bet the turn, that is your last bet in the pot unless you improve. If you want to check the turn and re-evaluate on the river, I can get behind that too.

I don't like putting a bet in on both the turn and the river UI here. Making this a habit against unknowns is definitely a leak.
Old 11-10-2005, 02:14 AM

The river's a pretty clear fold for me. A villain can't be expecting to call you down and push you off high cards here, so the river bet by villain reeks of one that wants to be called. Occasionally you'll be bluffed out of this pot by a missed draw, but I don't think that comprises enough of his range on the river to warrant a call. Additionally the board texture isn't appropriate for a free card on the turn. You can too much to gain by betting, and your marginal hand has a lot to lose by giving a free card (most hands have 6+ outs against you).
Old 11-10-2005, 04:28 AM

Fold the river. You're just not good here 1 in 7 times. It's a rare donk that pulls that line with a flush draw. Most likely he has something and fears a check though. Turn bet is 50/50 too.
Old 11-10-2005, 08:02 AM

I have some thoughts on this kind of hand at 5/10. I have struggled with these situations at this level, but finally I have concluded this: Jason Pohl says that the only climate in which loose-passives thrive is where their opponents are overaggressive. Meaning, in a hand like this, where you fire twice and then call the river bet, you are helping the loose-passive (the worst player in the game) maximize against you. Instead, Pohl suggests, wait to flop a pair and value bet the heck out of it.

On this particular board, I think your turn bet is necessary because many people peel flops like this, and he could have had a flush draw. But on the river, you can fold. Although he could be bluffing a worse hand (missed flush is really all I can think of), representing the made flush, this check/call, check/call bet line is usually indicative of a J with a medium-bad kicker or pp or smaller piece which villain thinks is probably good but doesn't want to spend too much to get to SD. I have made a practice of calling much worse river bets than this (which I no longer do), so I don't think this is a terrible call, but I agree that you have to lay this down on the river unless you have a reason to suspect he's fos.

M
Old 11-10-2005, 08:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Jason Pohl says that the only climate in which loose-passives thrive is where their opponents are overaggressive. Meaning, in a hand like this, where you fire twice and then call the river bet, you are helping the loose-passive (the worst player in the game) maximize against you. Instead, Pohl suggests, wait to flop a pair and value bet the heck out of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes that is what ive been thinking,im sick of raising pf,betting raggy flop,betting raggy turn thinking my overcards may still be good, and seeing 24s beat me cause they hit somewhere,

in this hand though if the villian is aggro would it be good to check turn to induce a river bluff,

i agree that with a passive a river fold is right here
Old 11-10-2005, 08:11 AM

It would depend on the opponent because I have to imagine it'd be best to bet this turn against almost every kind of vilain.