Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded

Old 12-30-2005, 02:44 PM

Default Re: Hand...

post removed b/c I forgot the proper action and it had no value
Old 12-30-2005, 02:54 PM

I've seen this line multiple times from Ax. Guy just wants to be "tricky." He checks the A on the turn so you think he doesn't have it. Then CR the river. You're owning him, easy 3bet and call a cap.
Old 12-30-2005, 02:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm 3-betting and fairly happily calling a cap.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 12-30-2005, 03:03 PM

I like your point on the turn, AK does not seem likely to check there. It is HU, so maybe villain is playing a little strange and was hoping you had a worse A? If I were villain and had AK and somehow checked the turn, I just don't think I would check the river. I don't know what hands would be a good fit for a river c/r, it's not like you've shown a lot of aggression here.

Then again, as somethingclever states, it could be someone thinking they are being tricky and I'm over thinking it and missing out on value.
Old 12-30-2005, 03:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

If AK wouldn't check this river, would JJ?

[/ QUOTE ]

They both would check the river. But I'm discounting AK based on the turn. I do think AK is a possible holding for Villian.

Krishan

[/ QUOTE ]

Your hand doesn't look like Ax -- so why would he check the turn with JJ but bet with AK? One would think he'd be more inclined to bet JJ if he's going to bet one of the hands, as it's more vulnerable than AK here.

Not that I'm giving this guy much credit for thinking on a decent level here, but his hand is pretty hard to read. I've seen Ax played this way often enough that I'm ok with putting more bets in on the river.

Rob
Old 12-30-2005, 03:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Your hand doesn't look like Ax -- so why would he check the turn with JJ but bet with AK? One would think he'd be more inclined to bet JJ if he's going to bet one of the hands, as it's more vulnerable than AK here.

Not that I'm giving this guy much credit for thinking on a decent level here, but his hand is pretty hard to read. I've seen Ax played this way often enough that I'm ok with putting more bets in on the river.

Rob

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds good. As you inferred he had JJ. His play is actually internally consistent. But I think I'll see AK or a weak ace or AJ often enough to 3-bet here (which I did)

Krishan
Old 12-30-2005, 05:12 PM

Well, now you know that he plays uber-predictably, instead of uber-tricky.
Old 12-30-2005, 06:45 PM

Off-topic, but is this a standard PF call for you? I cannot think of any opponent I'm going to play 29, suited or not, against.
Old 12-31-2005, 02:14 AM

This is a very difficult situation without any read. I object to the preflop call at a datamining site such as Party Poker. You have no business playing a supermarginal hand in the total dark versus someone who may have thousands of hands of stats on you.

The turn suggests that Villain has no interest in getting you to fold. If he had nothing to show he would either bet or checkfold.

Why didn't he bet? Not because he was afraid you would call. He must fear either the fold or the raise:

1. Monsters fear folds: A9, 55, AA, K9, Q9. Villain reasons that the appearance of the ace probably kills his action on this arid flop. Versus an aggressive opponent he switches to induce/slowplay mode.

2. Turtles fear raises: pocket pairs and fives. Villain is scared of both the ace and the nines and calls down.

Checkraising the river is an obvious monster play and a ridiculous turtle play. Of course the hooks turtle just switched teams.

It took me a long time to analyze this, but now that I've thought this through I think you are almost always screwed and reraising is out of the question.
Old 12-31-2005, 02:24 AM

I would call but I think it might be close. Unlike other posters, I really don't see big aces played like this. I think he has JJ a lot here. AA also might play like this.

I am almost positive it is closer than most of the other posters have suggested. If I 3bet, there is no way I would be "happy" when I called a cap.