Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: I have several essential cell phone calls that I need to make during any given commute.
False 12 80.00%
True 3 20.00%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-21-2005, 11:13 AM

Default Re: Johnny Damon signs with Yankees

Sporting Events peeps,

OK, I tried to have some rational thought about this, and then I went and looked at his numbers.

his average was up 12 points, but obp was down 14. his hits were up, and walks were down. But, by OBP, it was his 4th best year of his career, 2nd best year in boston (only 04 was better).

Another thing, his HRs went down from 20 to 10 this past year. Damon is a lefty...surely the short porch in right will help him get back to 20 dingers, no?

Oh yeah, and don't forget to go to ESPN and vote on if you think he's a 'traitor'. LMAO.
Old 12-21-2005, 11:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Sporting Events peeps,

OK, I tried to have some rational thought about this, and then I went and looked at his numbers.

his average was up 12 points, but obp was down 14. his hits were up, and walks were down. But, by OBP, it was his 4th best year of his career, 2nd best year in boston (only 04 was better).

Another thing, his HRs went down from 20 to 10 this past year. Damon is a lefty...surely the short porch in right will help him get back to 20 dingers, no?

Oh yeah, and don't forget to go to ESPN and vote on if you think he's a 'traitor'. LMAO.

[/ QUOTE ]

v.v. thinly veiled, i like it.
Old 12-21-2005, 12:12 PM

All the 'He will be good in '06-'07 but the deal is HORRIBLE' talk is annoying. Who cares? The yanks don't operate in the same economy as other baseball teams. If he declines significantly in '08 or something they can get someone else. They'll have their new stadium by then anyway and will be able to bump the payroll to $300mm+. Keep hating.
Old 12-21-2005, 12:39 PM

Can we all agree at least that Johnny Damon really isn't an excellent center fielder? He's good, maybe even great, but I'm tired of everybody blowing him like he's the 2nd coming of Joe DiMaggio. He's not even the second coming of Bernie Williams.
Old 12-21-2005, 12:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Can we all agree at least that Johnny Damon really isn't an excellent center fielder? He's good, maybe even great, but I'm tired of everybody blowing him like he's the 2nd coming of Joe DiMaggio. He's not even the second coming of Bernie Williams.

[/ QUOTE ]

unfortunately i agree with you. all my blowing of him was very sarcastic.
Old 12-21-2005, 01:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

unfortunately i agree with you. all my blowing of him was very sarcastic.

[/ QUOTE ]

$52m for 4 years for a centerfielder like that is disappointing. however, after thinking this over and vomitting multiple times, i believe cashman has something in store. perhaps not this offseason, but he's gotta know that he will be moving damon out of CF after 2006/2007. he's spoken numerous times of the prospects at lower level of the farm. plus next year will be the last in sheffield's contract. so there will be changes in the outfield. damon won't do well in RF, but maybe LF, and matsui in CF. maybe some newcomer will start in RF and move to CF.

anyways, this just makes so little sense to have damon in CF after 2007. cashman has got to have a plan b.
Old 12-21-2005, 01:09 PM

i dont see any plan b with damon being possible, he is too old and way too expensive for the yankees to move him to another team or get something for him.
Old 12-21-2005, 01:11 PM

Plan B with the Yankees is to get on your knees and pray (see '05). It can't hurt, everyone knows God is a Yankee fan.
Old 12-21-2005, 01:54 PM

I'm disappointed that the Sox are losing him as this leaves a big hole that will be hard to fill. However, $13 million per for 4 years is ridiculous. He just isn't a $13 million player.

It's amazing really that he got this contract. Just 2 years ago, half way through his 4 year, $ 28 million dollar deal with the Sox there was serious grumbling that he was overpaid. Of course, he's had 2 great seasons since then and his market value has obviously increased, but not $13 million.
Old 12-21-2005, 02:04 PM

Default Re: Dan Shaughnessy/Boston Globe Article.........

[ QUOTE ]
oh, and there's NO DOUBT Theo would've let Damon go. seriously.

[/ QUOTE ]
this is correct. plus who is to say he didn't have a hand in this deal, theo still helps with the negotiations and is still playing a part in that organization under the radar.