Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2005, 06:59 PM

Default Re: A potentially bad blind date setup

you have to also remember that the pictures on internet site (myspace, friendster, etc.) are carefully selcted to make the person look about 40% hotter than they actually are.

i know this first hand.
Old 11-21-2005, 07:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The Friendster Pic Rule: Score on Friendster - 2 = Score in Real Life

Example: If she's a 6 on Friendster, she's a 4 in real life.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the example. Had a pretty tough time understanding what you were saying before I saw it.
Old 11-21-2005, 07:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
As for the date, I would just tell whoever necessary (either your friend or his fiance) that this girl isn't your type. I would do it diplomatically, but I don't see this as too awkward.

[/ QUOTE ]
See, the problem is it's supposed to be a blind date--I surreptitiously found her profile on Friendster. So there's really no way that I'm supposed to "know" that she isn't my type until I meet her.

[/ QUOTE ]

The person that is setting you up is fully aware that it's 2005 and that you're not a luddite, right?

I think it's more than fair to be honest- and to be clear that even though you may be interested in "blind" dates, you're still going to do your best to make sure that it's worth it for you.

If you're making the effort to be kind to people you care about, people you care about should be kind enough not to waste your time if you're not interested in their ugly friends.
Old 11-21-2005, 07:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The Friendster Pic Rule: Score on Friendster - 2 = Score in Real Life

Example: If she's a 6 on Friendster, she's a 4 in real life. Get out while you still can.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've definitely seen this as well; sometimes the -2 point Friendster adjustment applies to the 2 point scale of hotness, which means some seriously bad regrets the morning after.

Swede
Old 11-21-2005, 07:24 PM

The not drinking part sucks. Because if I was in your spot I would plan on taking her somewhere where I could get drunk and then once drunk I could decide whether or not I want to have sex with her that night. Given your description of her looks then you should not have a very hard time of it. But you aren't going to drink so I would say try to cancel the date in the best way you see fit.
Old 11-21-2005, 07:36 PM

take her to a fried chicken joint on grand st and order chicken livers. if she still wants to see you, you can tell friend's fiance she's too weird with a clear conscience.
Old 11-21-2005, 07:43 PM

Just suck it up, go on the date, pretend it's w/ a buddy to just hang out. Maybe she has hot friends.

The person who screwed up here was your buddy. In this situation, it is his responsibility to make sure you don't get stuck w/ a bad-looking chick.

Especially as you get older and more of your friends are married or in serious relationships, their SOs will try to set you up. Good buddies step up and say "yeah, I don't think they would get along" or something.
Old 11-21-2005, 07:48 PM

You're so damned shortsighted. Women are typically friends with other women. And, frankly, you're an internet poker pro with limited wireless internet access stuck at your mom's house in suburban Chicago right now. Like you have options.
Old 11-21-2005, 07:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You're so damned shortsighted. Women are typically friends with other women. And, frankly, you're an internet poker pro with limited wireless internet access stuck at your mom's house in suburban Chicago right now. Like you have options.

[/ QUOTE ]

gold
Old 11-21-2005, 07:56 PM

Default Old \"SkipperBob\" Saying:

"There is no situation so bad that ingesting massive amounts of alcohol can't make it worse"...Go on the Blind Date...Get faced!...Double-Pump her Doggy-style..Do the 4th "Get"....Lie about the whole episode afterward [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]