Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics

Old 10-22-2005, 12:26 PM

Default Re: What Money Can Buy: Bill Gates and Africa:

Then back it up with facts.
Old 10-22-2005, 03:28 PM

Default Re: What Money Can Buy: Bill Gate and Africa:

[ QUOTE ]
IMO, gate's charitable work is commendable- he set out with the intent to correct what he saw as the largest inequity between the developing world and the leading industrialized nations. By the time he's done, he may save a hundred million children or more.

good for him. go bill gates.

I also like his father's progressive tax proposals for washington state.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-22-2005, 05:13 PM

Bill Gates, proof of why taxes need top be raised on the wealthiest Americans. Proof of what nasty mean spirited Republicans do with their money.

I wonder if the government spent the taxes collected from him as wisely?
Old 10-22-2005, 08:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd be really interested in your thought processes here, unless off course, you have none.

[/ QUOTE ]
I just wasn't sure if the earth can support the number of people that would continue living instead of dying for a very long without a change in behavior throughout the world.

According to andyfox's quote it's possible, but I'd like to see more evidence than just a quote from Bill Gates after he'd "thought about it" for a little while.
Old 10-22-2005, 09:24 PM

Default Re: What Money Can Buy: Bill Gates and Africa:. but..

hey; i'm in favour of all people getting good medical care, but

however'

what is going to happen to these countrie as they overpopulate?? civil wars idi amin style; famine worsens; attacks on usa worsen due to great satans greed...

gates has to address socioeconomic problems also; or his med care will worsen the situation...

jmho

gl

[img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 10-23-2005, 01:54 AM

Default Re: What Money Can Buy: Bill Gates and Africa:. but..

"gates has to address socioeconomic problems also; or his med care will worsen the situation..."

From the article:

Both historical and contemporary studies have shown that the public health of a nation only improves through a combination of social and political measures. Medicine matters, of course, but it is far from the only thing that does. (The United States is the richest country in the world and the most technologically advanced, yet it ranks twenty-ninth among world nations in life expectancy and thirty-eighth in infant mortality.) "In calling on the world's researchers to develop innovative solutions targeted to 'the most critical scientific challenges in global health,' the Gates Foundation has turned to a narrowly conceived understanding of health as a product of technical interventions divorced from economic, social, and political contexts," the Canadian health economist Anne-Emanuelle Birn wrote recently.
Old 10-23-2005, 02:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Then back it up with facts.

[/ QUOTE ]

A lot here

A few more

-Zeno
Old 10-23-2005, 02:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Would it really be a good idea to rid the world of disease?

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point man, maybe it was a bad idea that me and you are not still at risk of getting Malaria here in the United States. What do you think, should we reintroduce it to the US? Or maybe that would be too drastic, should we just halt our research on how to prevent and cure diseases for people in the United States? Or I suspect that like me, you want work on this front to continue as it has for us and for there to be as little disease as possible for us.
Old 10-23-2005, 02:33 PM

"'It was only when I dug into it a bit that I came to understand that better health leads to lower populations with more resources,' he said."

Andy what about the more resources? US uses so many natural resources and so do all the other rich countries they are going bye bye, what does he mean about better health leads to more resourceS?
Old 10-23-2005, 06:30 PM

I'm assuming that with better health, less money is spent on disease prevention and care; for example, right now, at an annual cost of $12,000,000,000, marlaria is responsible for almost 40% of public-health spending in Africa. Healthy people are more productive; life without good health carries enormous costs for individuals, families, and societies.