Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-30-2004, 07:15 PM

Default Semi-bluff questions...

This isn't my hand. I was watching a friend play who is newer to poker than I am, but I think he is catching on quickly. This was in a freeroll, but I just have some questions on the theory of his play.

I believe he was one in front of the button and folded to him with 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. (This was an unusually loose raise for him) His chip stack of about 6k. Blinds were 100/200. He raises to 750. Button calls with a stack of around 3500. Blinds fold.
Flop was 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
My friend leads out and bets 1000. Button just calls, with some hesitation.
Turn was 10 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (not sure about the suit, didn't matter in this case)
My friend pushes all in.

With my friend being the aggressor the whole hand and the other guy just calling on every turn, was this a bad time to bluff?

He ran into KQ off, would you consider this bad luck to run into a decent hand, or was this a bad play? Also, do you ever consider it "bad luck" to run into a good hand when you bluff?

Results: <font color="white"> Friend got lucky on the river, drew a 7 to complete his straight. </font>
Old 03-31-2004, 01:17 AM

Default Re: Semi-bluff questions...

Interesting question. There's not enough information to say whether the preflop raise was good or not. Obviously it's a good play if (and only if) there's a high probability that everyone else will fold.

On the flop I'd say to either move in, or make a smaller bet with the intention of folding if the opponent moves in. When your friend bet 1000, if the opponent had moved in your friend now has to call.