Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded

Old 05-31-2005, 11:49 PM

Default Adjusting to a new limit (hand post)

Moved up today from the passive Party 1/2 6-max, and I was pretty uncomfortable with all these hands. They all happened within my first 90 hands, and I suspect I made some bad mistakes. I'd appreciate comments on any of the hands.

PokerStars 2/4 Hold'em (6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG calls.

Flop: (7 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls, UTG calls.

Turn: (5 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, UTG folds, Hero calls.

River: (9 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 10 BB

<font color="blue">Should I call the river too since I called the turn. Not sure if I should be folding the turn here. No reads except villain was a bit on the loose side preflop. </font>

Preflop: Hero is MP with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, UTG calls.

Flop: (5.50 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls.

Turn: (3.75 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

River: (5.75 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 7.75 BB

<font color="blue">Villain seemed passive, and slightly loose preflop (VP 32 after 50 hands). I hadn't seen him bluff yet. Not sure if the river call is good. </font>

Preflop: Hero is CO with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, UTG calls.

Flop: (7.50 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG calls.

Turn: (5.75 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (11.75 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 13.75 BB

<font color="blue">Villain here was pretty aggression both pre and postflop. Seemed like a TAG, not sure yet. Is there any other way to play this? I considered folding to the turn 3-bet... </font>

Preflop: Hero is MP with 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, UTG calls.

Flop: (5.50 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Turn: (3.75 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG calls.

River: (7.75 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 8.75 BB

<font color="blue">Same villain as in hand 2. I wasn't sure between calling down from the turn or raising the turn. Bad river fold? </font>

Preflop: Hero is UTG with T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (4.50 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls.

Turn: (3.25 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks.

River: (3.25 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 5.25 BB

<font color="blue">This was towards the end of my terrible run at the table. I hate the turn check now.. Better to bet the turn and check the river unimproved? </font>
Old 06-01-2005, 12:06 AM

Default Re: Adjusting to a new limit (hand post)

Hand 1: I call river, since I called the turn.

Hand 2: Fold to river bet.

Hand 3: I play it the same.

Hand 4: I would just call the turn.

Hand 5: Bet the turn.
Old 06-01-2005, 12:08 AM

Hand 1 is an awful river fold, IMO.

I stopped there because I was disheartened.
Old 06-01-2005, 12:45 AM

havent read any other comments yet.
HAND #1
U cant fold that river you have top pair. pay him off if your beat.

HAND #2
I would fold this river bet, Maybe I'm wrong But how do you call here and fold in hand #1?

HAND #3
I think I would call him down here he could be betting a few hands you beat like this A9,TT,JJ,QQ.... maybe not A9.

HAND #4

I dont know if I can put him on a flush here, most would try and check raise with the flush... Maybe a king or stone bluff. I'm not sure how I would play this

HAND #5
I dont mind the Turn check If he called you with something on the flop then he was either beating you then or he is now... check and call the river. I dont mind it.
Old 06-01-2005, 12:30 PM

Thanks for the comments guys.
Old 06-01-2005, 02:26 PM

Yeah, hand 4 seems like a clear call on the turn. I overlooked the extra outs (although discounted) for my 6 high flush draw, to go with my straight draw. So I think getting 3-bet sucks on the turn since I probably have to call given the odds.
Old 06-01-2005, 12:33 PM

Hand 1 is awful. In the Stars 2/4, you're ahead of that turn raise so often that 3-betting is a profitable option against most players.
Old 06-01-2005, 12:55 PM

I would be closer to 3-betting that folding the turn on hand 1.

Hand 3 shows some serious weak-tight thinking going on. You're behind only AA and 99 here, and anything TT and higher is likely playing similarly. Don't fold.
Old 06-01-2005, 02:22 PM

Hand 1: I'm not familiar with Stars 2/4, but in Party 1/2, 5/10, or 10/20, I'm sure folding the river is wrong barring a killer read.

Hand 2: This looks fine to me. River call is close.

Hand 3: This is much closer to a turn cap than a fold. I like how you played it though. This is a great postflop line by UTG if he had AA.

Hand 4: Eh. I just shrug and call down starting on the turn. I sort of like the idea of not giving myself enough information to make a "good" laydown. If he wants to bet it, let him bet it, if not, I will. I like my chances when we turn over our cards. If there was a player behind you, a raise has more merit.

Hand 5: I don't know, I think this turn is close. Usually, you should fire again with an underpair like this and fold to a raise, so as not to give free cards, but there's so little you are ahead of here against any sane opponent. Probably I bet the turn and check behind on the river. Player dependent I say.

ZZZ