Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2005, 01:10 PM

Default Tilting because you win a couple of pots?

Just wanted to discuss this with my fellow noobs.

I have played a tiny amount of online hands (approaching 1K), I try to play tight, try not to chase when not warrented, etc- but everytime I win a few pots, I start to get a bit too excited- I usually end up loosening up a bit, chase more- and the pots slip away!

I always associated tilting with doing badly, not tilting because you're doing well?!

Any thoughts, feedback, advice really welcome.

Cheers,
Ian
Old 12-13-2005, 01:39 PM

Default Re: Tilting because you win a couple of pots?

Winner's tilt is real.

Anything that gets you playing incorrectly is tilting. Good players see the tilt coming - either kind - and will head it off before it gets there. If it means taking a walk, do it.

It's very common to see big winners tilt off their chips.

Regards,

T
Old 12-13-2005, 01:52 PM

Pick up Feeney's 'Inside the poker mind.' There are several essays in the book including some on tilt. I like his definition of tilt, which (if I'm paraphrasing correctly) is anything that causes you to make the wrong decision when you know better while playing a hand.
Old 12-13-2005, 01:53 PM

I've tilted both ways. Sometimes a tilt brought on by good fortune is followed quickly by a tilt brought on by losing the chips that made me tilt in the first place. Vicious cycle ain't it??
Old 12-13-2005, 03:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've tilted both ways. Sometimes a tilt brought on by good fortune is followed quickly by a tilt brought on by losing the chips that made me tilt in the first place. Vicious cycle ain't it??

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep- the couple of times it happened, by the time I knew it was happening, it was like a vortex starting to spool up.

You realise you tilted because you were excited. THEN you tilt more because you realise that your tilting!

Thank Heavens I'm only on the $0.02/0.04 limits!

Th annoing thing was not the loss in cash (insignificant at that level) but the fact I had let myself take this "backward step".

Cheers,
Ian
Old 12-13-2005, 04:21 PM

Now that you have identified the problem in yourself, make a point to play a little tighter than you want to, or maybe just hit the "sit out next hand" button and surf a webpage or two for a few minutes after you win a big pot.

The secret (IMO) to dealing with tilt is not becoming some sort of plaster saint who never gets upset, but rather recognizing your own tilt tendencies and acting to neutralize them.
Old 12-13-2005, 10:57 PM

Interesting, though, that you don't see winner's tilt discussed as much. Personally, when I get stuck with some horrible beat, I'm just thinking "OK, I need to really pay attention and focus on every play I make being the correct one," because I'm concerned about tilt. If it affects me enough that I have to quit playing, I will, but that hasn't ever happened to me.

The opposite, though, is very true. I get a little excited when I go on a heater, especially if I'm playing NL and get some over-aggressive moron's whole stack. A few times I've had to get up and take a walk, not because I get some stupid "I won a big pot, now I'm invincible" feeling, but because I'm just having trouble concentrating.

It's very hard to walk away when you're on "winner's tilt," though, because we've all read so many times that if you're in a really good game, you need to prop your eyelids open with toothpicks to keep playing.
Old 12-14-2005, 04:19 AM

Yep- I think this is the area that I'm going to have to concentrate on as I learn. I have no problem when I lose a couple of pots- it just makes me re-focus. But I have laways had a tendancy to get over-excited.

You know the type... always has to have a few more beers, etc!

Cheers!
Ian
Old 12-14-2005, 08:30 AM

So that's what it is called! I win some pots, and then end up losing it all. I need to stop doing this and keep playing smart!