Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2005, 09:22 PM

Default Re: Where to restart?

Well, it's a better plan than the first time, but I seriously think 20 buyin is too slim. It's not enough. Losing 20 buyins is not unheard of at all - 30 and 40 have been known - I would say 30 should be the bare minimum myself.
Old 12-13-2005, 09:23 PM

Also, when you are considering buyins and how much xx buyins you need, you should always include the vig. So $27 x 20 would be $540, not $400. You still have to pay it you know.
Old 12-13-2005, 09:28 PM

Yeah, I'm counting the vig. I figured I'd try a compromise between my reckess 10 buy-in approach and the standard 30. I think I can get away with this as long as I have the day job. We'll see how it goes [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 12-13-2005, 09:29 PM

Well ok good luck, but I dropped 40 at the $55s on Party, just to warn you. I was lucky that it was after I had had a >100 buyin swing upward beforehand, otherwise I would have been back to the $33s toute de suite.
Old 12-13-2005, 09:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I'm counting the vig. I figured I'd try a compromise between my reckess 10 buy-in approach and the standard 30. I think I can get away with this as long as I have the day job. We'll see how it goes [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know any other way to say it, so I'll be direct. If you keep 20 buyins for the level you're playing at, you'll eventually have to reload. I can almost guarantee that every successful sng player has had at least one 30 buyin downswing. Unless you're the greatest sng player of all time and somehow immune to variance, you're going to be making this exact same post again in 2 months.
Old 12-13-2005, 10:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok, thanks bones, tigerite, microbet. Initially I debated whether there was any point in making this post, but now I'm seriously glad I did. And please don't think that I think I'm "too good" for the $11s or anything. I just hadn't really had my clock cleaned moving up, until now. Oh yeah, and my job is incredibly boring and I'd really like to quit. I love what I do (internet dev) but this job is thr programming equivalent of taking out the trash every day. I really don't know why they hired me. Also I think discovering poker was going to make any job boring. So I'd like to quit, work contract gigs so I can have a more flexible schedule, and pursue poker as much as I can.

So anyway, here's the plan:

1. Seed the bankroll at $400.
2. Start playing the $27s (maybe the occasional 6x$35 for variety). If I run dry, start over at the $11s.
3. Don't move up until I have 20+ buyins, so $1200 until I can play the $60s again.
4. Adhere to #3, even if I get pissed at the poker gods, prove that I have the discipline.
5. Get pokertracker and pokerstove, try to dedicate an hour pre or post session to analysis, not just playing.
6. Post problem hands here.
7. Find a coach/mentor (already started this process w/johnnybeef). I did offer to pick up ZeeJustin's dry cleaning just to watch him play for a session, but apparently he's busy these days or something.
8. Work with study partner (started).
9. Switch to Party, get rakeback (I think I have a guy). I'm curious if the tables really are much softer than Stars.

Anything I'm missing on there? Again any thoughts, flames, etc. very much appreciated. I'll keep you posted on how my plan goes.

thx,
Matt

[/ QUOTE ]

You, my young friend, are "Royal" & "Truly" Phucked....Your whole post reeks of noobishnous of an unimaginable degree.

-You have no discipline
-20 to 30 buyins isn't even close to an adequate bankroll
(Bones; you should know better)
-You're gonna go broke, then eat your own poop, then beg for a steady job...maybe tie Stanzee's shoelaces.
-The only thing you left out was the BJ lessons from that crazy little bald dude

Kiss ur Arse goodbye & learn simple Russian verbs...then move into "Thug Mansion" [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 12-13-2005, 10:48 PM

I'm using 40 buyins BR. I move down when I get to 40 buyins for the buy in below though. Should be ok?
Old 12-13-2005, 10:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

-You're gonna go broke, then eat your own poop,

[/ QUOTE ]
That made me laugh so hard [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] that that I dropped my ice cream cone and the pointy part landed on my toe and made it bleed. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 12-13-2005, 11:42 PM

You seem to be getting the right idea, but there are dangerous indications that you still don't get it. Discipline means having a plan and sticking to it. Giving yourself room for sometimes playing around in other levels is a recipe for disaster. Some players can do it- not that it doesn't hurt their BR- but a person like yourself, who clearly has a discipline problem, should set strict rules for himself. I'll also add another voice to the masses- 20 buy-ins isn't enough, and 30 isn't standard. I would say 40 should be a minimum. Also, stay at the level until you are consistently beating it, not just until you have a good enough heater to hit 35 buy-ins at the 60's. Good job asking for help, though. There are other players who had to blow a bankroll way more often before they figured out something was wrong.
Old 12-13-2005, 11:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But I had gotten lucky doing this in the past

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Up until then I had gotten pretty lucky whenever I played over my head

[/ QUOTE ]
I didn't read all of the replies yet, so I'm not sure if anyone mentioned this. But the arguement that you've been lucky doing this in the past is not valid. If you think this is reason for you to keep doing this, you need to look up independent events and gambler's falacy.