Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2005, 12:30 PM

Default Playing the board...

Live 3/5 NL
Villain is a pedantic late middle aged man, possibly a school teacher or middle manager, who seems to at least think he knows what he's doing. He's played some big pots, a few hands ago he called 200 all-in on the river with queen high when his opponent played blind. Villain has a stone face when he's involved in a hand and is hard to read. Hero sat down three orbits ago and has only seen one flop, which he folded. Hero has $340, villain covers.

Hero is CO with AsAd, three EP limps, Hero raises to $40, Button calls, everyone else folds.
Flop: 5c, 3s, 2c
Hero bets $100, Button calls.
Turn: 4d
Hero bets $100, Button calls.
Turn: 6c
Hero checks, Button pushes, Hero?

Hero has $100 behind on the river. Pot is $600.
Old 11-20-2005, 12:35 PM

Default Re: Playing the board...

As played you really need to push the turn. Betting 100 on the turn with a flush draw possible, with only 100 behind is bad.

River is probably a fold, but its close. Real key is not putting yourself in these spots.
Old 11-20-2005, 01:33 PM

I agree that I should have pushed the turn, but my main concern was that he might call a less than all-in bet on the turn with just an overpair or two pair if I make it seem like I don't have an ace. While I am giving him correct odds if he has a flush draw or a set, I'm getting more value out of him when he is drawing thin. If I push the turn, he has to fold. Still, I'm pretty sure I should have pushed. The river is where I think the interesting decision lies though.

Things I'm not sure I made clear in the OP: 1. Villain likes to call. The Queen high hand should illustrate that. 2. Villain thinks he knows what he's doing. He's capable of making a move if shown weakness.
Old 11-20-2005, 01:53 PM

Push the turn obviously as played I call. I don't think you lose this more that 75% of the time.
Old 11-20-2005, 06:03 PM

When the board shows a straight, and its CHECKED to me on the river, I almost always bet it...If you had the hand, why would you check and risk getting it checked down?

My point is, whether wrong or right, if the player thinks along a similar line that I do, he could just as easily be bluffing. When you check, it leaves you wide open to being bluffed.
Old 11-20-2005, 06:43 PM

You're hand improved on turn and is HUGELY vulnerable. Ya gotta push turn. Chance he flopped set, dont give him odds to draw to it.

Also, doesnt sound like you're respecting your opponents, with your "pedantic middle manager" deal. You really shouldnt condescend if you're confused about this hand.
Old 11-20-2005, 07:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You're hand improved on turn and is HUGELY vulnerable. Ya gotta push turn. Chance he flopped set, dont give him odds to draw to it.

Also, doesnt sound like you're respecting your opponents, with your "pedantic middle manager" deal. You really shouldnt condescend if you're confused about this hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol wha? Who says I was condescending? He was pedantic for at least the time that I played with him, making fun of another player at the table for playing blind and showing all of his hands, babbling about the rules of showing hands down, and talking about topics at the table which seemed to have no relevance except to show his marginal knowledge on the subjects. His behavior was consistent with middle school teachers that I've had and middling businessmen that I've met. I thought that info would help to characterize the opponent in this hand. Wtf are you talking about "respect?"

And I already said I should have pushed the turn, when did it appear that I was confused? I posted the hand because it came to an interesting river situation, which, of course, you gave no insight on. If you think it's such an easy decision that you're not "confused" then more power to you.
Old 11-20-2005, 07:54 PM

The way this hand was played it should be obvious that you are playing the board at the end (you wouldn't raise $50 preflop with a seven and bet it that way, and it's unlikely for you to have actually made a flush, and to check it at the end). Him pushing the river with any two cards is pretty much a freeroll to make you fold. You're getting great pot odds, it's hard to come up with many hands of his that include a seven, and in addition to flushes he could easily have 22-66 or even something like AK or other pocket pairs (JJ?). Folding the river seems terrible. And given that folding is terrible, it would have been better just to push yourself. Maybe he'll misread the board and fold sometimes. (And you still should have pushed the turn, but I've played along with your request to only look at the river.)
Old 11-20-2005, 08:03 PM

Call then stand up and yell "REBUY!"
Old 11-20-2005, 08:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Call then stand up and yell "REBUY!"

[/ QUOTE ]

Very close. It was actually "chip runner!"

Villain had 67o for those interested.