Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2005, 11:19 AM

Default Re: MTV True Life: I\'m a professional gamer

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Anyone else read this as "I'm a professional gambler"?

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

EDIT: fatal1ty isnt just some gaming kid. He's probably the most famous gamer alive, and he's (one of) the best too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dennis Fong is dead? Or am I behind the times.

~D
Old 11-22-2005, 11:24 AM

On the MTV episode the money the kids were making was dogshit though. Like the kid who plays smash bros, the first prize in the big tourney was like a grand and he was "planning on playing 13 tournaments this year." So he could win all of them, then have enough to buy a Saturn? He's really not a "professional gamer" if thats all hes earning.
Old 11-22-2005, 11:43 AM

I don't follow this kind of thing anymore, but I'm pretty sure Johnathan Wendel (Fatal1ty) is still making a few hundred thousand dollars a year from gaming. Stuff like this helps out I'm sure but he also has some endorsement deals with computer hardware and accessory companies.
Old 11-22-2005, 12:24 PM

Holy cow, a quarter million bucks for the winner of the match.

Anyone know if Thresh plays competitively anymore? I got the impression years ago that he retired because the competition was starting to catch up to him.
Old 11-22-2005, 12:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Definitely a lot of kids' dream.

Then again, so is being a [cardgame] pro. Which is probably easier.

[/ QUOTE ]
I was reading that some kid (His handle is Fatal1ty I think) earned $100K last year playing video games professionally. He expected to rake in about $200K this year with sponsors.
I agree that a game like poker is a far better profession since any and everybody plays poker, and they play it absolutely terribly. I love video games, but poker is a far more attractive way to make money and is far more competetive.

[/ QUOTE ]

That really isn't that much, in the whole scheme of things of course. In China and Korea, there are professional gamers who are paid to train starcraft and WC3 all day. They rent out an apartment, hire 10 of the top gamers to live there training against eachother all day. I've read that the best starcraft player in china earns upwards of 300-400k a year including sponsorships.

Of course, there are also counter-strike teams such as coL and 3D who are paid monthly salaries, as well as receiving money from the numerous prizes they win from competing internationally. These teams are sponsored by major commercial stores like Subway. I think 3D was sponsored by Bestbuy or something previously.