Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2005, 07:54 PM

Default Wardrobe suggestions

I started otu in the "real world". I dont haver much in the way of dress clothes that are appropiate for the business world, I guess. What should I buy? Im in sales/tech stuff, and basically hang out at restaurants all day. My question is, where is the [censored] manual for things like this? Where do you learn what to wear, how to "sell", decorum, and things of that nature? or do you just wing it and learn as you go?
Old 10-10-2005, 08:07 PM

Default Re: Wardrobe suggestions

here you go.
Old 10-10-2005, 08:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
here you go.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously, those clothes are gross in ANY situation.
Old 10-10-2005, 08:15 PM

if they haven't given you any training or some kind of mentor, then they are not smart. that's bad business. ask for help. it won't make you look bad.

for the wardrobe stuff, brooks brothers is not too expensive and always an easy choice as you don't have to worry too much about things "matching".

Buy 5 white, 3 blue, 2 mildly striped dress shirts (with a few different types of collar)and 2 blue, 1 black, 1 brown, 1 beige/khaki 1 grey pair of pants. 1 black/ 1 brown belt. 1 pair black 1 pair brown shoes - kenneth cole is simple and fine. socks suck, but you should probably wear them. you can wear any shirt/pant combination and be fine. just wear brown shoes w brown pants, black with others.

but you should really try to find a job where you can wear flip flops.

good luck.
Old 10-10-2005, 08:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if they haven't given you any training or some kind of mentor, then they are not smart. that's bad business. ask for help. it won't make you look bad.

for the wardrobe stuff, brooks brothers is not too expensive and always an easy choice as you don't have to worry too much about things "matching".

Buy 5 white, 3 blue, 2 mildly striped dress shirts (with a few different types of collar)and 2 blue, 1 black, 1 brown, 1 beige/khaki 1 grey pair of pants. 1 black/ 1 brown belt. 1 pair black 1 pair brown shoes - kenneth cole is simple and fine. socks suck, but you should probably wear them. you can wear any shirt/pant combination and be fine. just wear brown shoes w brown pants, black with others.

but you should really try to find a job where you can wear flip flops.

good luck.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have "mentor" but he is old, and I didnt want to go with old people style. Thanks for the base to start, Ill go to brooks brothers and just pick a bunch of stuff out. Are suits a yay or nay? I dont mind wearing them, but dont want to look like an ass or too self-important when I make sales presentations etc
Old 10-10-2005, 08:22 PM

Buy a GQ.
Old 10-10-2005, 08:38 PM

If everyone else in your office is wearing suits then buy suits. If you are making client presentations and your clients are in suits, you need to be in a suit.

I buy all my stuff at Jos. A Banks where I have had better luck then Brooks Brothers. Their prices are similar. Get a salesperson, tell them what you need and what your budget is and they will hook you up.
Old 10-10-2005, 08:43 PM

I won't bother telling you what to buy, because it doesn't really matter. You can look professional without spending alot. One rule I adhere to is this: if you're on a budget, make sure you have nice shoes and a nice watch first. Moderately priced slacks and shirts don't look cheap and will suffice just fine. However, a really nice and/or expensive shirt/tie/pants trifecta will be ruined by cheap loafers and a Casio watch.

I am in sales, so I will tell you that I wear a shirt and tie everyday, sportcoat when it's cold, and a suit if I have a very important meeting.
Old 10-10-2005, 08:44 PM

You actually have a real job? After reading your

[ QUOTE ]

Discussion I had last night........

[/ QUOTE ]

post, that really surprises me.
Old 10-10-2005, 08:46 PM

First get yourself one of these for your shiny, bald head.