Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2005, 04:14 PM

Default Re: Opponents Playing Back at You

Here is a great post about the subject - (not necessarily about fish but about running well vs. running bad)

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...mp;o=&vc=1
Old 07-08-2005, 08:03 PM

No, it's not just you. I remember one table where I wasn't running so good, and every time I raised pf with TT or JJ, I was getting check-raised by fish on the turn with one overcard on the board. It was happening with such regularity that I had to start calling down, and yes, I did snap one off.

Check this out: http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...14&fpart=1
Old 07-08-2005, 09:05 PM

You describe them as fish. They're, by definition, going to draw out on you because they don't know any better.

Similarly, if you begin to take shots at them, they will not have the 'know' to get out of your way....so you'd better catch them on a horrible hand. Just my thoughts.
Old 07-08-2005, 09:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was wondering what you guys thought about the theory that if you are playing your typical aggressive game at a table but missing your flops or getting sucked out more often than usual, the fish will begin "playing back" at you and start bluff raising you causing you to fold marginal hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not the fish, but maybe the better-than-average players may be making this adjustment.
Old 07-08-2005, 10:26 PM

I think the best thing to do in this situation is to maybe do a little more checking/bluff inducing against the players who think you are running bad/crappy player. I think leaving is the worst thing to do unless you are really fuming. In my experience if the players stay long enough you should be able to make it back and then some.
Old 07-09-2005, 02:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Here is a great post about the subject - (not necessarily about fish but about running well vs. running bad)

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...mp;o=&vc=1

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, never saw it put that way before. It makes a lot of sense, as every time I run terribly live, it seems to be impossible to do anything but break even at best from there no matter what I do (obviously using selective memory here, but its still a powerful thought). Changing tables can sometimes help, which means leaving the great table...I get it.
Old 07-20-2005, 02:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
So I ended part of there fun by quitting the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would you do such a thing? You listed wishy-washy contradictive reasoning. Opponents were making massive mistakes, which make you a ton of money, whether or not the immediate short-term results agree. Plus, bad players having fun play even worse than bad players who aren't having a good time.

[/ QUOTE ]

A decision to leave the table isn't solely based on your opponents. It is also based on you - your table image, your tiltometer, your state of alertness, etc. Don't stay in a game just because it is good; you may not be.