Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2005, 11:01 AM

Default 87s 12xBB in hijack

Observed this hand of another 2+2er. Hope he is not too mad at me for posting it.

$200 supersatellite for major tournament on Paradise, blinds 100/200/0. Hero has 2400 one before CO and raises to 600 with 87s. BB has hero covered and reraises to 1800. Hero pushes.

Now hero is getting 1.7-1 to put the money in after the reraise. He was a 1.5-1 dog against villain's KQo and typical over card hands. He is about even against 22-66, but dominated by 77-AA, x7, and x8. On the whole, he is probably more than a 1.7-1 dog against villain's range, but it is close.

Since this is a 2 seat supersatellite and there are about 60 players left, I think not folding to the reraise is OK if you want to gamble. In a supersatellite with a lot of seats, it is best to avoid gambling, but this is practically a WTA and hero is fairly short stacked.

What I don't like is the initial steal raise with 12xBB. It seems like you are setting yourself up for a resteal. I don't like standard raising with 12xBB unless you have a big hand that you would like to be reraised.

I think a limp, miniraise, or push in this situation would have been better than a standard raise. I know people on this site don't think much of limps or miniraises, but with this stack size, I don't like a standard raise.
Old 11-23-2005, 12:23 PM

Default Re: 87s 12xBB in hijack

I don't mind the standard raise here. If the steal fails, he still has 9x BB, plenty to still do serious all-in damage. If called he could still win after the flop, and if raised he should probably lay it down.

I don't think you should limp/minraise rather than standard raise just because your stack is low...if you really feel you're THAT low it should be all-in or fold. Limp/minraise could be an even bigger re-steal flag for the other players.

He also may have reads on the blinds.
Old 11-23-2005, 01:00 PM

Default Re: 87s 12xBB in hijack

With 12xBB, I rarely standard raise period. I would miniraise or limp and do the same with a big pair. If someone comes over top, you can decide what to do. I don't like putting myself in position to fold 1/4 of my stack preflop.

You could also push in this situation, and that is probably what I would do with 22-99, AT-AK, and KQ.

Maybe the standard raise is OK, but this hand shows the trouble you can get into.

Yeh, hero probably should fold to the reraise.