Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: If you we molested by MJ and he paid you 20+ million to drop the charges would you testify against h
Yup 15 39.47%
Nope 23 60.53%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-09-2005, 11:20 AM

Default Re: A Looming Republican Fissure?

most people favor some form of restriction on abortion as well. this is why roe v. wade was a bad decision and why it should be left to the state's to decide.

President shares my opinion and has from day 1 said he would appoint judges that share his judicial ideology. I don't think this means 100% "extreme" conservative but you should look to his other nominees for guidance.
Old 07-09-2005, 11:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
THANK YOU. I am amazed at how ignorant people are on this. Almost everyone I talk to on this subject believes that overturning Roe would make abortion illegal. They are so clueless it is sad.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is one of the hazards of only watching the mainstream media. People like Grey are using quotes and polls from mainstream sources that are factually incorrect. If Roe ever was overturned, within a year people would realize that you can still get an abortion, and the poll results would change (They'll be saying, "eh, I guess we never needed Roe to protect abortion rights in the first place, Mabel.")
Old 07-09-2005, 11:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This is one of the hazards of only watching the mainstream media. People like Grey are using quotes and polls from mainstream sources that are factually incorrect. If Roe ever was overturned, within a year people would realize that you can still get an abortion, and the poll results would change (They'll be saying, "eh, I guess we never needed Roe to protect abortion rights in the first place, Mabel.")

[/ QUOTE ]

You are correct. The media has been terrible on explaining this issue, and I think it is intentional. They want people to believe that overturning Roe would mean abortion would be illegal. It is easier to get the results of a poll to show what you want it to show, when you provide people false and misleading information.
Old 07-09-2005, 11:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
People who were not adults before 1973 might think that it was the court that "gave" us abortion.

[/ QUOTE ]And this would be what, 20% of the sample and 15% of the voting population?
Old 07-09-2005, 11:33 AM

Are you all being intentionally ignorant?

I will post this again:

[ QUOTE ]
"In 1973 the Roe versus Wade decision established a woman's constitutional right to an abortion, at least in the first three months of pregnancy. Would you like to see the Supreme Court completely overturn its Roe versus Wade decision, or not?"

Yes 30%
No 63%

[/ QUOTE ]There is no way to spin that to pretend those people really thought the question was "should abortion be made illegal?"
Old 07-09-2005, 11:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
People who were not adults before 1973 might think that it was the court that "gave" us abortion.

[/ QUOTE ]And this would be what, 20% of the sample and 15% of the voting population?

[/ QUOTE ]

An 18 year old in 1973 would be 50 years old today. If you think that only 20% of the sample is under 50 years old, I won't crush your illusions. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 07-09-2005, 11:37 AM

Grey, do you really believe that the majority of Americans fully understand the concepts and history behind Roe? I don't think they do. In that light, polls are really meaningless. A poll can be a usefull tool in measuring opinion, if the people responding have a full grasp of the issue. I guarantee you that large numbers of Americans are ignorant on this issue. So your poll doesn't mean much. As long as people believe that overturning Roe would mean abortion would be illegal ( and many do), then it is meaningless.
Old 07-09-2005, 11:47 AM

BGC I misread your post.

[ QUOTE ]
As long as people believe that overturning Roe would mean abortion would be illegal ( and many do)

[/ QUOTE ]You have no evidence of this. The poll question I just quoted clearly explains exactly what Roe v Wade did, only 30% approved of overturning it, and you two writing it off as meaningless is just wishful thinking.
Old 07-09-2005, 11:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You have no evidence of this. The poll question I just quoted clearly explains exactly what Roe v Wade did, only 30% approved of overturning it, and you two writing it off as meaningless is just wishful thinking.

[/ QUOTE ]

The only evidence I have is that virtually everyone I have ever talked to on the issue believed that overturning Roe would make abortion illegal. I don't know if a poll has ever been conducted that put that to the test on a national level. I would love to know if it has. I am sure a large number would respond that they did believe overturning Roe would make abortion illegal.

Your basic point sounds like this: The vast majority of Americans want abortion to be legal. Am I correct? If that is true, then overturning Roe wouldn't really mean much would it? Then the decision on abortion would be left to elected representatives, and if they voted to ban abortion, they would probably lose in a landslide.

If this decision was left to the states, I am guessing only a few states would have any signifacant restrictions on abortion.
Old 07-09-2005, 12:04 PM

I've read a lot about politics. I'm very involved. And until a week ago I thought overturning Roe v Wade would make abortion illegal. My parents think so too. So does pretty much every person I've talked to. If you want, I could ask the next ten friends I meet, and I bet they will tell me that overturning Roe v Wade would outlaw abortion. That is how it is portrayed in traditional media and conversation.