Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2005, 06:57 PM

Default Re: Tax Bill

regarding your constitution, i say again - reread yours. methinks youre not understanding it all too well...
Old 11-18-2005, 07:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
regarding your constitution, i say again - reread yours. methinks youre not understanding it all too well...

[/ QUOTE ]

It says the Government can tax income. That's what I said before you said:

[ QUOTE ]
reread yours, tough guy. see if you find mention to an income tax, or to welfare, or to any of your other faves.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you respond again, please explain yourself.
Old 11-18-2005, 07:26 PM

i think i know you, kip. am i right?

anyway,

[ QUOTE ]
"Article XVI.

The Congress shall have power to lay and collect taxes on incomes...

"Article I; Section. 8.

Clause 1: The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises...

[/ QUOTE ]

the congress aren't the collectors, and the constitution doesn't say that the congress can pass on their collection duties to some guys who go by 3 initials. ironically, chomsky is the one i first heard this from when i was a grad student at MIT, and made the mistake of attending a lecture he gave to a joint linguistics/applied mathematics conference. the only thing he ever said that wasnt fake...
Old 11-18-2005, 07:47 PM

I'd say at least have of business in investment banking is helping companies avoid taxes. They spend so much money and do such wierd things to avoid taxes. You can't blame them, they are playing by the rules given. But the rules are pretty stupid.
Old 11-18-2005, 08:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i think i know you, kip. am i right?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know. How do you think you know me? I have a friend who went to MIT... is that you?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
"Article XVI.

The Congress shall have power to lay and collect taxes on incomes...

"Article I; Section. 8.

Clause 1: The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises...

[/ QUOTE ]

the congress aren't the collectors, and the constitution doesn't say that the congress can pass on their collection duties to some guys who go by 3 initials.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd guess the "necessary and proper" clause gives Congress the right to create a way to collect taxes -- hence the IRS was formed. Whether or not the IRS has been granted too many rights, or whether or not their existence is even Constitutional, doesn't change the fact that the Constitution does explictly state that the Government can collect taxes on income. So, unless someone shows me otherwise, I think I was right in my original statement... even if it did come off "tough guy"-ish. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

So, who are you? PM me if you want.