Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-2005, 11:16 PM

Default I know I messed up, but should he have been in the had?

First post.

Ive been playing for about 3 months, and made my first final table last weekend- $3 entry, limit holdem, poker stars.

Down to 7 players, I had around $100,000 chips, bets were $6000/$12000. In SB I had K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Two players limped, and I raised. They both called.

(7 small bets) Flop came 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. I bet, first player called, second player raised. I reraised, first player folded, second player called.

At this stage, I he had to have two high unpaired cards, so worst case I figured I was up against JQ or J10, giving him a gunshot, but more likely up against A or K with a Q or a J, most likely suited.

(7.5 big bets): Turn came 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. I figured that there were only 4 possible outs to beat me if he had a gunshot. I checked, planning to raise if he bet. He checked, and I was now sure he was at best drawing with J10, Q10 or JQ.

(7.5 big bets): The river was a 4. I bet, he raised (I put this down to trying to scare me with A 2 3 4 on the board). I reraised and he capped. 15.5 big bets, or 186,000 chips.

He had 5 6 off suit, and my day was pretty much over.

In hindsight, I should have bet the turn, but should he have even been there at that stage? Does this qualify as a bad beat, or should I be blaming myself?
Old 02-10-2005, 11:34 PM

Default Re: I know I messed up, but should he have been in the had?

Dont know how he got to the final table with that kinda play in limit but , oh well I guess he was hitting cards all day.

Your read was good that he was drawing to a str8, You never ever ever check the turn here. I really dont think he was folding to the turn bet anyways , but you have to charge him , and make them suffer for thier missed draws. Not only does it cost you a bet if he misses and folds the river, it gives him infinate odds to catch.
Old 02-10-2005, 11:36 PM

Default Re: I know I messed up, but should he have been in the had?

Of course it's a bad beat. It's a horrific beat, seeing as he's only good if he hits his miracle runner-runner.

That said, you're partially to blame for not betting the turn. For one bet, he'll probably chase his gutshot, but he can't fold if you don't bet. And because you didn't, his pot odds are essentially infinite to suck out on you.