Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Sports Betting
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2005, 11:18 PM

Default yanks/royals 8/25

They are -375?! This is the biggest favorite I have ever seen. Sure I am a yankee fan but you have to think taking the royals would be a pretty good bet. Johnson is always liable to give up 3 or 4 homeruns in the game.
Old 08-25-2005, 11:24 PM

Default Re: yanks/royals 8/25

dude, the royals are the dogs because they suck. sure they've pulled a couple out of their asses this past week. but the moneyline is set that way because they are going to get pounded tomorrow.
Old 08-25-2005, 11:25 PM

i understand they suck and the yanks should be favored big. but does a major league team ever have a legitimate 80% chance of beating another major league team?
Old 08-25-2005, 11:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i understand they suck and the yanks should be favored big. but does a major league team ever have a legitimate 80% chance of beating another major league team?

[/ QUOTE ]

yes when a team has a record that includes dropping 19 straight games.
Old 08-25-2005, 11:59 PM

royals were +330 or higher twice last week against the A's, when they finally broke the losing streak.
Old 08-26-2005, 12:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you come to 2+2 for the sports betting section? If KC had a better record than, lets just say, Minnesota, would it matter whether they lost 19 in a row. And what does them losing 19 in a row have to do with whether they have a 80% chance or better tomorrow of losing? Are you really going to put -370 on this game (I am not saying the other side is good either). Anywyas, o/u on your posts under this name 35.

craig
Old 08-26-2005, 12:16 AM

In any game, the mere fact that a line or moneyline is large does not mean that the dog is a correct play. Just like any other game, the question you should be asking is whether the oddsmaker is incorrect.

Essentially, each of your analyses say nothing of value.

You're not even beginning to consider psychological factors. Let me preface this by saying that I know very little about baseball, but I do know that the Royals are having a terrible year and have been out of the playoff race for almost the whole season, while the Yankees are in a dead heat in the race for the wild card spot in the AL.

You have a horrible, albeit professional, team with virtually no incentive to win on the one hand. On the other hand you have a solid team that is having a better later part of the season than earlier with all the incentive a team could possibly have at this time of year. That's a big part of the reasons why this moneyline is so large.

Sorry to be harsh, but if all you're considering in this is whether the Royals suck, you have a long way to go if you're going to make any consistent money betting sports.

I have no opinion on this game, but if the only reason you're considering betting a game is "wow is that line big" or "wow does that team suck," stop betting altogether.
Old 08-26-2005, 12:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you come to 2+2 for the sports betting section? If KC had a better record than, lets just say, Minnesota, would it matter whether they lost 19 in a row. And what does them losing 19 in a row have to do with whether they have a 80% chance or better tomorrow of losing? Are you really going to put -370 on this game (I am not saying the other side is good either). Anywyas, o/u on your posts under this name 35.

craig

[/ QUOTE ]

do you play for KC? i can't think of any other reason why you would think dropping 19 games doesn't have any relevance when laying down $ on this game. me, i'm sitting this one out. i won't put -370 down on the yanks becuase KC has had some wins in the past few days. i'm pretty sure they'll get crushed. but the odds aren't anything i care to take in this case.

my point was, don't be on a crap team just because the payoff if they win is big. that's not a smart betting strategy because THEY HARDLY EVER WIN.
Old 08-26-2005, 12:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In any game, the mere fact that a line or moneyline is large does not mean that the dog is a correct play. Just like any other game, the question you should be asking is whether the oddsmaker is incorrect.

Essentially, each of your analyses say nothing of value.

You're not even beginning to consider psychological factors. Let me preface this by saying that I know very little about baseball, but I do know that the Royals are having a terrible year and have been out of the playoff race for almost the whole season, while the Yankees are in a dead heat in the race for the wild card spot in the AL.

You have a horrible, albeit professional, team with virtually no incentive to win on the one hand. On the other hand you have a solid team that is having a better later part of the season than earlier with all the incentive a team could possibly have at this time of year. That's a big part of the reasons why this moneyline is so large.

Sorry to be harsh, but if all you're considering in this is whether the Royals suck, you have a long way to go if you're going to make any consistent money betting sports.

I have no opinion on this game, but if the only reason you're considering betting a game is "wow is that line big" or "wow does that team suck," stop betting altogether.

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks for the lesson but i understand all this and am not planning on putting any money on the game. i was just posting because i have never seen a line this large and because intuitively it seems too high.
Old 08-26-2005, 12:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

craig

[/ QUOTE ]

do you play for KC? i can't think of any other reason why you would think dropping 19 games doesn't have any relevance when laying down $ on this game. me, i'm sitting this one out. i won't put -370 down on the yanks becuase KC has had some wins in the past few days. i'm pretty sure they'll get crushed. but the odds aren't anything i care to take in this case.

my point was, don't be on a crap team just because the payoff if they win is big. that's not a smart betting strategy because THEY HARDLY EVER WIN.

[/ QUOTE ]

As a matter of fact, he does pitch for the Royals. He's also big on finding patterns in betting in Roulette and Bacarrat.