Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2004, 01:14 AM

Default Flop nut flush draw out of position.

What is the correct action to take in a situation like this? Bet? Check/fold? Check/raise?

All advice appreciated.

Thanks,
Justin

Paradise Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $0.10 BB (10 handed)

CO ($8.70)
Button ($3.15)
GlemZurg ($18.85)
BB ($6.65)
UTG ($9.85)
UTG+1 ($11.85)
UTG+2 ($10.00)
MP1 ($3.70)
MP2 ($10.40)
MP3 ($9.65)

Preflop: GlemZurg is SB with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. GlemZurg posts a blind of $0.05.
<font color="CC3333">UTG raises to $0.2</font>, UTG+1 calls $0.20, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls $0.20, <font color="666666">4 folds</font>, GlemZurg (poster) calls $0.15, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: ($0.90) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
<font color="red">GlemZurg ???</font>
Old 09-07-2004, 03:15 AM

Default Re: Flop nut flush draw out of position.

I find that betting at least half the pot works well. If no one has an ace you'll often take it down right there.
Another approach is to check-raise,
and of course good ol' check-call works as well, although it will look pretty obvious that you were chasing a flush when the 3'rd spade hits and you suddenly come alive. Although that can work well if you utilize the reverse bluff when it does hit and you make a massive overbet on the pot. Often enough someone thinks you are bluffing and will call you.
If you have the image of a table bully, so much the better. if the pot is HU at that point, bet the other guy all in.
You'll be amazed how often they call.
Old 09-07-2004, 05:51 AM

Check call if you feel you are getting a good price. You have three people to act behind you and UTG is likely to bet. A pot check raise puts you in a slightly dodgy situation on the turn if someone calls and it blanks, and a bet into the raiser is liable to get raised. You could check raise all in but your stack size is far too big in relation to the pot.

If the betting is such that you feel everyone else is weak, then go ahead and check raise but you have to be pretty sure that they will all fold.
Old 09-07-2004, 10:22 AM

I like a check call here. With the other people still to act, and it being a very low limit, most of them will prolly call and give you pot odds to call regardless of a loss of implied odds. I don't like betting out here. I think you'll prolly get raised by the preflop raiser and have to lay it down where as checking and calling may allow you to win a big pot. If it gets checked all the way around then you may also have outs with a J or K.
Old 09-08-2004, 04:17 AM

I would've raised to 6xBB pre-flop, and bet pot on flop. This is pretty much my regular ABC poker with any 2 suited paint regardless if I hit the flop or not.

That way they'll probably figure you for A-kicker and not on the flush draw, so when the 3rd [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] hits they'll call any pot sized bets they would've called anyway.

I usually bet into my draws, but that's just me. It fattens the pot and makes people more pot commited. Also, if you were in position it could buy you a free turn card if the [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] doesn't fall.