Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2004, 02:10 PM

Default Can I extract any value out of hands like this?

Assume you are playing at a very limp-a-riffic NL25 table. You are the BB and you wake up to T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Fun stuff.

4 limpers to you, SB completes, and you of course check. Lo and behold, the flop comes:

4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

SB checks. Is it +EV to do anything other than checkfold this flop? Does the answer change if the board is more coordinated (twoflush, etc).

I feel like this is a situation that happens to me all the time; or I limp behind in LP (or, worse, call a massively multiway miniraise) with 97s, pair my 9, etc. Do I even want to bother with such hands, or should I just checkfold? I find that with 5+ limpers, a pot sized bet can become pretty substantial.
Old 08-03-2004, 02:27 PM

Default Re: Can I extract any value out of hands like this?

With this board, which is so ragged, I would probably bet the flop. If the board was more coordinated, I would check/fold, not wanting to get involved.

As for playing weak hands in late position, I tend to only limp with suited connectors and semi-connectors (ie 8-10). And I will only play after the flop if I hit it hard. One pair with a weak kicker is not enough to go to war with in a multiway pot.
Old 08-03-2004, 06:24 PM

I'd say with position, and checks around it may be worth to bet. From the BB, I'd say your best line of action is to check, and pray it gets checked around. If theres a decent sized bet (half pot or more), I'm out of the pot. If it's a minbet from the button trying to buy the pot for cheap, I'll checkraise around 3/4 to full pot and hope to take it down.

If the turn is a rag and everyone had checked prior: I check again with my TPcrapK. Similar situation to the flop now. If someone bets out weakly representing a 2nd pair, then go for the check raise. Any resistance (including a call of the c/r) and I'm done putting any more money in.

I'm not even sure if my strategy is +EV right now. You're not giving up much by just check/folding these kinds of flops. You lower your variance and only give up a small bit of EV.
Old 08-03-2004, 07:29 PM

In your specific example, if it's checked to the last person to act, and he makes a bet, it's almost always worth a call because his bets are going to be by nature, suspect. If anyone else hangs around on this, I would be weary, even if I hit my 6 (note: it hits 25 and 57 hard).

The board is non-threatening and if you get heads up with the button you can take the appropriate action depending on what appears on the turn and his history of betting with position and ability/willingness to carry on a bluff.

Garland