Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2005, 01:51 PM

Default Re: I dont get the turn bet, please help

You just gave me a great reason to bet. I was playing the Foxwoods PPT event and Jennifer Harmon raised UTG. I called from BB w/ 89h. Flop came Axx w/ 2 hearts, I checked, she made a small bet and I called. Turn was a heart. I led out and she went into the tank. She mucked KK, but she said aloud... "I know you don't have a flush, you would have checked a flush" That sounds like the perfect reason to lead out with the flush doesn't it?

Gavin G
Old 02-28-2005, 02:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You just gave me a great reason to bet. I was playing the Foxwoods PPT event and Jennifer Harmon raised UTG. I called from BB w/ 89h. Flop came Axx w/ 2 hearts, I checked, she made a small bet and I called. Turn was a heart. I led out and she went into the tank. She mucked KK, but she said aloud... "I know you don't have a flush, you would have checked a flush" That sounds like the perfect reason to lead out with the flush doesn't it?

Gavin G

[/ QUOTE ]

while i dont disagree with that.. you could even take it a layer further until it gets ridiculous..

I dont have the flush so if i bet it out he will think i have the flush thinking that i would would not bet out like I had the flush, so i must have it because I am trying to trick you..

Disclaimer: I admit i am a double-a player trying to make it to the show...

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Gavin, you coming to Vegas for Rio?

G
Old 02-28-2005, 02:41 PM

well, most ppl aren't thinking at that level, so I wouldn't worry too much about that. No, I'm not gonna be at Rio.

Gavin
Old 02-28-2005, 03:24 PM

When I make a baby flush on the turn (something like 8d9d here), oft-times I will make this type of play for two reasons:

1) Deception (as mentioned by Gavin)
2) To stop my opponent from checking behind, as a river card of the same suit will cause me all sorts of problems out of position.

In short, I don't think you can completely dismiss the possibility of a flush here, and against a "thinking" type player the possibility is going to be that much greater.

BTW, one other potential hand you can put the villain on here is 66. That being said, the call here is fine.
Old 02-28-2005, 04:01 PM

What hand that you were ahead of did you put him on when he:

A) Called your raise?
B) Pushed the turn?

It's a pure bluff, but I don't think it's horrible. Ciaffone and Reuben offer this as a viable bluffing strategy. He's pretty clear about what he has, and wants to know if you believe him. You didn't, and he got lucky.

Call me weak-tight if you'd like, but I don't know that I want to go broke with TP J-kicker here. There are a lot of reasonable hands you are waay behind here. Fold, and (unless my math is wrong) you've got 20BB left.

My (weak tight) two cents,

Sam
Old 02-28-2005, 04:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What hand that you were ahead of did you put him on when he:

A) Called your raise?
B) Pushed the turn?

It's a pure bluff, but I don't think it's horrible. Ciaffone and Reuben offer this as a viable bluffing strategy. He's pretty clear about what he has, and wants to know if you believe him. You didn't, and he got lucky.

Call me weak-tight if you'd like, but I don't know that I want to go broke with TP J-kicker here. There are a lot of reasonable hands you are waay behind here. Fold, and (unless my math is wrong) you've got 20BB left.

My (weak tight) two cents,

Sam

[/ QUOTE ]

i suppose i put him on a weaker ace or a flush draw, if not a stone cold bluff.

If all i have is tp with J kicker, i can fold that hand. However, I felt like I was ahead, that this was a bluff, and that if I was wrong i still had outs. If I can't call that bet then I will never win a tournament

G
Old 02-28-2005, 05:14 PM

Why do people keep talking about the J kicker as if there is potential for being outkicked here? For all intents and purposes he has TPTK (I would completely discount AK) and the only question is whether or not one pair is good enough. In a normal online tourney vs. a normal opponent I think this is the type of call that you should make - you might be wrong here often enough true, but when you are right the chips won here can be ridden an awful long way.