Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2005, 08:25 AM

Default flopped trips - any escape from the donk?

Ģ10 MTT William Hill, third or fourth hand. 1500 chips - no signifisant action yet at the table.
I'm dealt 99 in CO. UTG doubles the BB for 60, I raise to 180, BB calls. Flop is 6s, 8s, 9. BB raises 180. I go all in, BB folds, UTG calls and flips A7 off (no spades). Turn is 5, river is 10. I stick a fork into my leg.
Is there any way to avoid escape this result?
Old 12-14-2005, 08:33 AM

Default Re: flopped trips - any escape from the donk?

Why did you reraise preflop? 9s ainīt strong enough to minreraise pf.
If you try and keep the pot smaller by calling instead of reraising preflop, you will be able to get away from losing your whole stack.
About the push, he made a bad call and you should be happy about that call - at that point you were ahead.
Old 12-14-2005, 08:48 AM

With apologies for the weakly disguised bad beat post...
The reraise was to find out what the weak raise utg meant as I've noticed a lot of players mini-raising premium hands utg to get action.
Old 12-14-2005, 10:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why did you reraise preflop? 9s ainīt strong enough to minreraise pf.
If you try and keep the pot smaller by calling instead of reraising preflop, you will be able to get away from losing your whole stack.
About the push, he made a bad call and you should be happy about that call - at that point you were ahead.

[/ QUOTE ]

The preflop min-raise is indeed terrible, but if there is even a glimmer of a thought in your mind that he should for some reason consider getting away from his hand on this flop in a $20MTT, then you probably shouldn't be giving advise.

No offense.
Old 12-14-2005, 10:32 AM

I wrote "get away from losing your whole stack", as you kindly put in bold, that is not the same, is it?

And Thrillfactor, I took offense so please be a little more polite in youīre replies.
Old 12-14-2005, 10:49 AM

Sorry, but the way your original post reads is that without the preflop reraise, the pot would be smaller on the flop, thus giving hero a better chance to NOT get it all in the middle against an opponent who wants to chase a draw?

Granted, there's always the chance that your donk opponent may have played whatever gappers is takes to flop the straight, but even then you have your draws.

I guess my point was that in this particular post about this particular hand, "getting away from risking your whole stack" shouldn't even be mentioned.

But maybe I'm being a donk about this somehow.
Old 12-14-2005, 08:37 AM

Weakly disguised bed beat post. No we do not feel sorry for you.
Old 12-14-2005, 09:21 AM

yeah, quit playin' poker
Old 12-14-2005, 09:41 AM

Hey Registrar, I see you are new here. First of all, ignore the unhelpful posters.

First of all, I can empathize with the games on the Crypto network, the play is horrendous, stick it out though, on the days your good hands hold up, you'll do quite well with the money.

I think your preflop line was incorrect here. You should either just call or fold. If you do raise, make it big. But remember, these people think that Q8, etc are premium hands. I like to not invest a ton of chips, or push the winners very hard on this network.

As far as the flop goes, you pushed, and against most of the donks on this site, your hand will hold. A lot of times they are calling a push with K9, Q9, A9, etc. You're making him put his tourney life at risk in the early game, and also you have outs against the straight draw as well (think boat).

Just keep playing solid, post your hands, and no bad beats/results.

Good luck,

Pokernewbie
Old 12-14-2005, 09:52 AM

I haven't seen one unhelpful post on this subject yet. #1, this is a disguised bad beat post and should be posted elsewhere as no one is interested in a forum of bad beat posts, we ALL have bad beats EVERY DAY. #2, he asked is there anyway to avoid escape this result. I told him yeah to quit playing poker. This is the ONLY way to avoid this result. You got your money in while having the best hand, what more do you want? These DONKS are where we make our money, more often than not they will pay us off by making mistakes. Be glad in it.

Unhelpful posts, I think not. Stop posting bad beats!