Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2005, 07:46 AM

Default The all-nighter...AKA I rule at procrastination

So I ended up putting off the writing of a paper in my Mass Comm class (400 level) until the night before it was due. This wasn't entirely my fault, since my professor is quite possibly the least productive one I've ever had and we were basically on our own for this. Of course, I'm not going to deny that I could've done this at least a few days earlier. First time I've done this in a long time, and since its 5:40 here, I figured now was as good a time as any to just chill for a few minutes and make a post.

Oh yeah, and I've got a test in my 7:30 class, an introductory communication studies class that I can totally BS my way through. Doesn't seem like the 45 minutes of sleep I could get if I went to bed right now would be worth it.

So I'm sure I'm not the only one who's pulled the all-nighter before with a pretty full day ahead...how do you guys make it through the day? FWIW, my schedule:

0730-0830: Class
0830-1100: Open
1100-1200: Class
1200-1245: Gym
1300-1415: Class (Mass Comm)

Free till 7 after that...so I've got some room for sleep. Help me out OOT, I'm gonna be on fumes by the time the last class lets out.
Old 11-16-2005, 07:48 AM

Default Re: The all-nighter...AKA I rule at procrastination

Ditto. Test at noon in a class I never go to. Test at 6pm in a class I never go to. This morning the first time I've started studying for either. However, I'm strangely optimistic about them both now, 4ish hrs into studying.

You get through the day quite easily with pure adrenaline, don't worry about it. Remember you're on a mission and it's a challenge for you to overcome.
Old 11-16-2005, 07:49 AM

You'll need to make it to gym, gym and after will be fine.

I suggest chocolate rations, drink water as much as possible, and try to get fresh air whenever possible.

I've pulled loads of all nighters and put in a full day, it's not as bad as you think (as long as nothing emotional or too stressful happens, and then you go to [censored] ).

Carry something for a headache, just in case though.

Try to stay awake till a normal bed-time as well.

PS. You may also find yourself needing a huge dump about 9am or so, for reasons that always escaped me. I'm not kidding.
Old 11-16-2005, 07:53 AM

diet pills with the water. Be sure to have lots of water, but *good* diet pills work for a reason.
Old 11-16-2005, 07:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Ditto. Test at noon in a class I never go to. Test at 6pm in a class I never go to. This morning the first time I've started studying for either. However, I'm strangely optimistic about them both now, 4ish hrs into studying.

You get through the day quite easily with pure adrenaline, don't worry about it. Remember you're on a mission and it's a challenge for you to overcome.

[/ QUOTE ]

I figured you might be in that same boat as me. Us procrastinators got a rep to uphold. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

I'm gonna need every bit of that adrenaline I can get, I'm sure of that. I'd think about sleeping when I get out of my test in like 2.5 hours, but there's a very distinct possibility I'd just sleep through the rest of my day. No class = no credit on paper...very bad in 400-ish things.

How I've survived this long only pulling 2, MAYBE 3 all-nighters in college is beyond me. I shall overcome.
Old 11-16-2005, 07:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Doesn't seem like the 45 minutes of sleep I could get if I went to bed right now would be worth it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. If you were only to sleep for 45 minutes all you would do is mess up your cycle. You would have a very difficult time of getting up and gaining momentum again. like DB said, the gym is a must. It should get you recharged.

Also important, do not crash as soon as your classes are over. Try to stay up until you would normally go to bed (or at least an hour earlier than normal). I have found this is the best method to get back on schedule.
Old 11-16-2005, 07:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
diet pills with the water. Be sure to have lots of water, but *good* diet pills work for a reason.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ripped Fuel works wonders for me. I'll be tweaking out by the end of the day I bet...the sleep tonight will be epic.
Old 11-16-2005, 08:34 AM

Oh yeah, its also 18 degrees here and I'm looking forward to scraping off the truck on my way to class. This keeps getting better. At least I like a little nip in the air when I've been up this long.

[censored] MN winter just decided it'd come at once after that awesome fall we had...
Old 11-16-2005, 08:37 AM

Today you'll be fine.

Tomorrow you'll be [censored].
Old 11-16-2005, 08:53 AM

I was up until 4am having sex. I fell asleep at 5am. I have an exam at 10am. I have not studied.

I win.

<font color="white"> I don't have any pics, so don't even ask. </font>

Edit: Take a nap during your "open time." A two hour power nap does wonders.