Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory

Old 12-25-2005, 08:45 PM

Default playing on a short bankroll, how much ev

how much ev is needed to play a hand. i'm looking at a ev chart by position tightpoker.com and only 10 hands have an ev of better than .47. are other hands worth playing, what type of equation would I use to make a decision. can anyone help?
Old 12-25-2005, 08:53 PM

Default Re: playing on a short bankroll, how much ev

depends on the game, but there are generally accepted starting hand tables in books such as Small Stakes Hold em (Miller et al), Hold Em Poker For Advanced Players (Skalansky & Malmuth) and many more books. If you look on these forums you can find tables of these starting hands.

I'd also suggest playing tighter on a short bankroll, so drop the marginal hands. You'd like to minimise your variance, so game selection is important, although whether limit or no-limit has least variance is an often argued point.

most important is to not play above your level and to play solid poker (heh...).

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

gl.
Old 12-26-2005, 02:58 AM

play a hand if its EV >0 in the given conditions. I don't understand why you need a minimum profit line for a hand that is higher than this. Anything, even remotely profitable, is something you need to take advantage of to maximize your edge.
Old 12-26-2005, 05:23 AM

those stats are somewhat odd.

i would think that your ev would go up as your position goes on?

any explanations for why it does not?
Old 12-28-2005, 12:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
play a hand if its EV >0 in the given conditions. I don't understand why you need a minimum profit line for a hand that is higher than this. Anything, even remotely profitable, is something you need to take advantage of to maximize your edge.

[/ QUOTE ]ummm, you don't want to take any +EV spot if your risk of ruin is thruogh the roof. Let's say you are playing no limit and you have your whole bankroll on the table. You are taking a shot at 50/100 NL. Guy flips up JTo and shoves allin for 80 bb's which happens to be your whole bankroll, you have 66, now are you gonna call allin for your entire bankroll with a 50.2% chance of doubling up and a 49.8% chance of going bust, or are you gonna wait for a better spot?