Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2005, 01:28 PM

Default Re: Should I finish college? (long)

Dude, don't listen to the haters. Follow your dream, and make the mad bank!! These guys are just hoping that one more year of school will get you back off their tables.

Also, GoT's goal was only 400k because he's really lazy, a problem you obviously don't have because you play 35+ hours a week already!
Old 12-08-2005, 09:36 PM

I'm not sure why noone mentioned this yet but...

You said you wanted to start your own biz. I imagine it would be easier for you to get a small biz loan if you had a degree. It would look like you actually can finish something. It would also look good for other people who would like to become partners with you.

Also you don't have to work a 9 to 5 job. You could become a consultant. This would give you the social interaction you recognized that you would be missing by being a pro poker player, while also not having to work a 9 to 5 job, and having complete flexibility.

What exactly are the cons to staying in school for one more year? You haven't listed any?

What are the pros of dropping out? you haven't listed any of those either

Ok so the only cons I see are: having to cram for a few tests and turn in some homework.

pros for dropping out: a few extra bucks this year. Thats it. You aren't hurting for money obviously.

Melch
Old 12-08-2005, 02:12 PM

Having watched a number of friends and clients drop out of
school because they were making freak money during
the tech boom of the late 1990's, my advice is stay the
f in school.

You'll never regret having a degree; odds favor regret
over the lack thereof.

Pick up a copy of Mackay's "Extraordinary Popular Delusions
and the Madness of Crowds."
Old 12-08-2005, 02:29 PM

I haven't read all the responses, but I can guess what most of them will say. It sounds like you are really tempted and are looking for someone to confirm your tendency to wanting to drop out. I think you are going to find (as you have already discovered) that people will site more reasons for you to finish rather than qutting with 1 more year to go.

Poker is not going anywhere, and you only have one year to go. Even if you think you can be successful without a degree and can't really see a reason at this moment to finish, you never know what future situation will cause you to regret not getting the degree if you do drop out. It's only a year out of your life. I would just suck it up and finish.

But you know yourself the best.
Old 12-08-2005, 02:40 PM

You are a good friend, and I admire your skills as a poker player greatly. We have had some good times together and it's been a pleasure getting to know you.

Rather than follow what everyone else on this site has said, I'm going to switch it up a bit. You need to follow your heart. If being in school makes you miserable, then you just cannot do it.

That said, you also need to consider everything that constitutes happiness. What importance does finishing school have on your parents? Will you forever be a dissapointment in their eyes if you don't? What about extended family? Friends? What happens if in three years, after 1.2million or so in profit, you decide that you're ready to take a break and try something new. The money's great, but what are your options?

You (as well as me and many others) are super blessed to come from upper middle class families where our parents support our living situation and to some extent our schooling. This puts you in a really unique opportunity to explore your life to the fullest.

If you will only be happy at the table, then the answer is clear in my mind. If happiness combines other elements of life, then I think you need to take a step back and consider a more practical approach.
Old 12-08-2005, 02:56 PM

So you "think" you can make 600k/year. How much did you make the last few years? Unless you have put up numbers of over $450k, I doubt you know you can make 600k. If your argument is I took one semester off and look how much I made, good luck.

Am I the only person who realized this.

[ QUOTE ]
If I decide to finish, my parents will pay the tuition.

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I expect to make over $600k.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are a total dick for not paying muchless giving your parents nice stuff.
Old 12-08-2005, 03:18 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
If I decide to finish, my parents will pay the tuition.

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I expect to make over $600k.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are a total dick for not paying muchless giving your parents nice stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

who are you to pass judgments about things he does in relation to his family? you need to just keep it to yourself sometimes dude.
Old 12-08-2005, 03:43 PM

Are you kidding me? How is it not dick if you make so much per year that you can't help out those who helped you out? How is that private stuff? Isn't that just being nice to your parents? Or is that too private?
Old 12-08-2005, 05:07 PM

I come from a really conservative traditional family where parents are supposed to support you until you have graduated and have a job. I convinced them to let me pay rent for my apartment. Money-wise, the tuition isn't a big deal for either of us. I think it makes them happy to pay for my college.
Old 12-08-2005, 05:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I come from a really conservative traditional family where parents are supposed to support you until you have graduated and have a job. I convinced them to let me pay rent for my apartment. Money-wise, the tuition isn't a big deal for either of us. I think it makes them happy to pay for my college.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good clarification. I wish I had this before. I agree with you then. You are not a dick anymore.

Last question still didn't get answered.

Any stats on yearly progress to your guess of 600k/year?