Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2005, 01:53 AM

Default Re: URGENT: Can I sit out and get my seat?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I decided to go the horribly -EV way and bully everyone

[/ QUOTE ]
FYP.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hear ya.

Worked like a charm up to this point b/c we were on teh bubble for the $. Now there's 9 left, top 6 get seats. Now I have 22K and I can sit back.
Old 12-06-2005, 01:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I decided to go the horribly -EV way and bully everyone

[/ QUOTE ]
FYP.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed.
Old 12-06-2005, 01:55 AM

i [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] when someone asks for urgent advice, and after getting 10 peolpe saying the same thing.

They do the opposite.
Old 12-06-2005, 01:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] when someone asks for urgent advice, and after getting 10 peolpe saying the same thing.

They do the opposite.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I understand what you're saying. But the table was horribly tight and I was able to increase my stack by about 30% b/c it was bubble. Everything I've read says to loosen up on teh bubble b/c all the other players will tighten up.

Once we hit the money, I've tightened up (though I had AK and AQ on the first 2 hands and missed both flops).

Wasn't ignoring the advice, it's just that the situation changed.,
Old 12-06-2005, 02:04 AM

The problem with this logic is that you increased your stack by 30%, but you increased your equity by an incredibly small percentage and risked a lot.
Old 12-06-2005, 02:04 AM

Ok - made the top 6
Guy called an all-in with K4 and 7 left with a guy short stacked (like 1/4 his stack) and busted to KQ. Wow, what a dummy - unless he wanted the $94 booby prize.
Old 12-06-2005, 03:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Everything I've read says to loosen up on teh bubble b/c all the other players will tighten up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really in satellites.
Old 12-06-2005, 03:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Everything I've read says to loosen up on teh bubble b/c all the other players will tighten up.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

To clarify, if you're in a regular tournament, you want to accumulate chips on the bubble because you want to come in the highest place possible. In a sattelite, you want to make it through the bubble because nothing else is worth anything.
Old 12-06-2005, 10:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

To clarify, if you're in a regular tournament, you want to accumulate chips on the bubble because you want to come in the highest place possible. In a sattelite, you want to make it through the bubble because nothing else is worth anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. But since everyone is thinking that way, why not try to blind steal with some hands that I can easily get away from? I'm not talking AT or AJ, but hands that I can raise that, if I'm re-raised, I can drop. That way, I can increase my stack on teh first bubble (they paid places 7-9) so I can cruise past the second, more important bubble.
Old 12-06-2005, 10:27 AM

I think y'all are kind of talking past each other here. What (I think) the OP was proposing was playing aggresively so that the end of the tournament doesn't turn into a nail-biter, but doing so without risking his stack. (On a sat. bubble, a min-raise from LP will usually take down the blinds.)

What the responders heard was that the OP was risking his stack to build a huge lead.

Yes, pushing K4 was dumb. Calling with KQ was worse. (Depending on stack sizes of course.)