Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2004, 02:13 PM

Default Trips/ top kicker

Party 15 game.

4 limpers. I complete in the sb with Ac8h. bb raises. Everyone else calls. I too call. 6 way action.

flop: 8s8c9d

UTG bets. When it gets back to me, I raise. When it gets back to the button he 3 bets. I then cap. When the smoke clears, we have 5 guys seeing the turn including me, bb, and the button.

Turn: 6d

I bet. 2 guys fold. one chap in mp calls and button raises. I 3 bet and the other guy folds. Button calls.

Sorry for the confusing action but when all is said and done, what matters is that I am now heads-up with the button and the pot is huge. Button had call-reraised on the flop and had raised but not capped on the turn.

River: 2d

I bet.
Old 08-18-2004, 02:28 PM

Default Re: Trips/ top kicker

I do everything the same as you except I fold for the pre-flop BB raise.

Hope there's not there's an unhappy ending (JdTd?) to the story.
Old 08-18-2004, 02:30 PM

Seems pretty ordinary. He raises, you call.
Old 08-18-2004, 02:35 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

i don't get preflop calls like this. if utg raised and 4 people called, would you defend the big blind? i never would, and big blind raisers indicate even more strength than utg ones.
Old 08-18-2004, 02:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i don't get preflop calls like this. if utg raised and 4 people called, would you defend the big blind? i never would, and big blind raisers indicate even more strength than utg ones.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree w/ your and Andy's pre-flop comment.
Old 08-18-2004, 02:59 PM

Default Multitabling problems

I actually posted this with a view to a follow-up post on the greater frequency rate of making errors when multitabling as opposed to playing 1 game live.

In live play, I would not have bet the river as there is too good a chance that the guy has the other 8 given his flop and turn actions. And teh only 8 not accounted for is the 8d. A possible diamond flush got there on the river. If the guy is playing with the 8d, there is too good a chance that he came in suited preflop. Ergo, there is too good a chance that he has a flush and will raise (unless he is terrified that you have a full). If it turns out that I am wrong and he has an offsuit hand, he will bet it for me anyway and I can call which nets me the same. Thus, the better river play is to checkcall.

As it turned out, I bet, got raised by the Td8d and paid off. I attribute that mistake solely to multitabling.

Other errors I made last night when multitabling (and BTW, I only play 3 games: I have no idea how some of you guys manage to play 6,7,8 games simultaneously...amazing):

Posting my bb UTG when I came into a new game (all the boys must have immediately made a note in caps: FISH or perhaps even MORON).

bad eyesight: I had one table in the far left corner of my screen: I saw QdJd when it later turns out that it was QhJd. Of course, 2 diamonds come on the flop and I am in there duking it out. Thankfuly, I managed to catch the error when the turn action broke out and then sheepishly folded (I am not sure why I acted sheepishly given that nobody can goddamn well see me..heh)

In a session sometime ago, I had also accidently pressed the advance fold button on a hand that I had every intention of playing and would have won a nice pot with it.

The other goofy thing about playing online is that I can't remember flops minutes after they happen. Whereas I can recount every minute detail of hands that I have played live for days, weeks, months and sometimes even years.

Mutitabling has its disads. Any tips on how to minimize those disads?
Old 08-18-2004, 03:05 PM

Default Re: Multitabling problems

bad eyesight: I had one table in the far left corner of my screen: I saw QdJd when it later turns out that it was QhJd.[/

Use the 4 color deck, its not just for old people.
Old 08-18-2004, 03:09 PM

these mistakes you've outlined sound like they could knock a healthy amount off of your win rate.

1) Use the four color deck!

2) don't use the auto-post button first in. ever. wait for party to prompt you, then after clicking post BB, check auto-post.

3) I 6 table and used to use two monitors. I actually find it easier to keep track of 6 tables on one monitor, go figure. the overlap isnt even that bad, I think I'm on the setting one less than 1920.

4) turn the volume up and use the full amount (or close to it) of time on Flop/turn/river decisions (especially turn and river) these are the decisions that affect your win/rate sooo much more.

meh.
Old 08-18-2004, 03:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
use the full amount (or close to it) of time on Flop/turn/river decisions (especially turn and river)

[/ QUOTE ]

Ugh, I hate you.
Old 08-18-2004, 04:00 PM

Incidentally, I too agree with the preflop fold but I don't think it's so obvious a fold given that I was getting 11:1. In a recent thread, I felt that calling with Q8 off in the bb when getting 15:1 on a UTG raise was marginally correct. In my hand, there were also a couple of guys in the pot who were prone to give excessive action ((I do manage to make a few observations even when multitabling...heh). Albeit, my hand is not one that will usually welcome excessive action on the flop. But I also had good relative position to the PFR.