Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2005, 06:07 PM

Default Should I Have Gone Balls to the Walls?

A 6-Max Table at Party

Folded to Button who limps (71/5.3/.92 after 230 hands), good TAG completes his SB, I check with the Ten of diamonds and 7 of hearts on the BB.

Flop is T28 all spades. Sb checks, I bet, Button raises (I often have a better hand than him here, but he's not afraid to go to war with just a flush draw), SB drops, I call.

Turn is the 5 of hearts. I check/call.

River is the Ten of hearts. I bet.

Should I be putting in more bets on the flop or turn? Getting capped on the flop feels icky. The way I played should I have just checkraised the river?
Old 12-15-2005, 06:31 PM

Default Re: Should I Have Gone Balls to the Walls?

I lead the turn. Button may not have raised with the intention of taking the free card with a flush draw, but his low aggression numbers suggest that that may happen anyway if you check.

I play the river the same. I hate relying on low AF opponents to bet for me, especially on the river.
Old 12-15-2005, 06:38 PM

If your kicker were any better I'd be alright with going nuts. But with the monotone board and your crappy kicker there's too many times where the wildly overaggressive putz could be getting wildly overaggressive with some [censored] hand that beats your [censored] hand. Or has a significant number of outs against you. In cases like this I think getting to the river and showing down is more important than getting into raising wars with marginal holdings. Even if they look pretty huge compared to the competition.
Old 12-15-2005, 08:03 PM

This guy's a caller, not a bettor, so I wouldn't chance the river check-through. I like the bet.
Old 12-15-2005, 08:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
should I have just checkraised the river?

[/ QUOTE ]If Villian doesn't have a flush, there is a good chance he is going to check it through when the top card pairs. And if he does have a flush, checkraising is not good.
Old 12-15-2005, 08:48 PM

Everyone seems to feel villain is passive postflop. I thought he was pretty aggressive.
Old 12-15-2005, 08:53 PM

yes, he is. a .92 ag factor for a guy who plays 71% of his hands is aggro. I either want to three bet the flop, or stop n go a safe turn. Having TP against this guy is pretty solid IMO, so as long as a spade doesn't fall, I want the lead. He's gonna have to do a lot more to convince me that he has us beat just by the current action
Old 12-15-2005, 09:16 PM

Yeah I think donking the turn with the intention of calling down unless a 4th spade fell would be the best line. Maybe 3 betting the flop would work too.

Anyway he called the river with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. I [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Party.