Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-2005, 08:07 AM

Default Re: *My* story - One year as a pro!

I'm very sad you never even mentioned Magic: the Gathering in your story, nerd.
Old 05-29-2005, 04:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm very sad you never even mentioned Magic: the Gathering in your story, nerd.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, okay here's an addendum:

A long long time ago, in a galaxy far, far, away, I played Magic: The Gathering. Then I learned how to play poker. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-31-2005, 09:51 AM

I am new to the site, but I was wondering what all the slansky books were to read. I saw the initials in a previous post. (hepfap, top, sshe, hep, hoh) I know you mentioned how important "Slansky" was for you. Thanks for clarifying, and in what order or what situation is each book good for? Thanks...
Old 06-04-2005, 06:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I am new to the site, but I was wondering what all the slansky books were to read. I saw the initials in a previous post. (hepfap, top, sshe, hep, hoh) I know you mentioned how important "Slansky" was for you. Thanks for clarifying, and in what order or what situation is each book good for? Thanks...

[/ QUOTE ]

Start with "Hold Em Poker" by Sklansky. It's a short book, but it cover most concepts reasonably well, but isn't overwhelming like Theroy of Poker or Hold Em For Advanced Players. There's probably 6 months to a year's worth of material in HEP.

After learning that book inside and out, I would recommend "Small Stakes Hold Em" by Miller, Sklansky and Malmuth. It expands on material in HEP and teaches you more advanced, aggressive plays to maximize your winnings.

Good luck!
Old 06-06-2005, 02:34 AM

cool story man, i was wondering why you did not mention magic. just do not make the mistake john murphy made, "I played a card game called Magic: The Gathering, it's kinda like Dungeons & Dragons." hahaha that quote kills me. i hope to write a story similiar to yours in two years, but i'll be able to finish with "..and that takes us to THE PRECIOUS" as I pet my bracelet.