Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-2005, 02:16 AM

Default Party 5/10 FULL game, Good?

Most players move from 3/6 to 15/30, did or does anyone play the 5/10? It gets overshadowed by the 6max, so I was wondering if anyone here plays it.
Thanks.
Old 05-10-2005, 03:00 AM

Default Re: Party 5/10 FULL game, Good?

the 5/10 full is a very rockish game in my opinion, and not nearly as profitable as the 5/10 6max, which also teaches you more concepts you need to learn to beat the 15-30 game

i recommend moving ot the 5/10 6 max after 3/6 full
Old 05-10-2005, 09:37 AM

6 max is great , 5-10 full sux.
Old 05-10-2005, 09:40 AM

You guys are crazy. 5/10 6M is a rock garden. I think all competent 2p2ers will have much better luck in the full games. I'll tough it out in the 6max cuz I'm a masochist. Anyone who knows how to play poker, however, should stay far far away.
Old 05-10-2005, 09:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, it sucks bad. Everyone stay away from 5/10 full.
Old 05-10-2005, 09:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, it sucks bad. Everyone stay away from 5/10 full.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, I'm sorry. I was just going to leave it as a sarcastic response, but this issue really bothers me.

Anyone who says that the 5/10 full games are a "rock garden" does not know what they are talking about. Or they are just plain impatient.

Are they "better" then the 6-max games. I really don't know as I only have 5,000 hands of 6-max. I now have 27,000 hands of 5/10 full. I three table and have never had any trouble finding a decent game.

I play Pokerstars, Party, Absolute, and UB. If those sites are having a off night I open the PokerRoom or Paradise.

Do you have to be more conscious of table selection? Yes. The one thing I will agree with, is when you get on a tight 5/10 table, it can be really tight. But with all the tools that we have available to us, there is no reason to spend more than (2) orbits on such a table.

The only point that I will concede, is that for an 8-tabler it may be difficult to find 8 really good games, but from what I hear this is also true of 3/6 these days.

Anyway IMO the stuff you hear about 5/10 being a rock garden, is every bit as inaccurate as the crap you see in the micros about 1/2 full being a rock garden.
Old 05-10-2005, 09:59 AM

I agree completely.

Good post. I just didn't take the time to spell it all out.

The only thing I have to add is that the fish in the 5/10 full are a different brand of fish. As Bob T once said, as you move up in levels, the edges you push get smaller. The fish at 5/10 full I really noticed can find the fold button with a greater amount of frequency.
Old 05-10-2005, 10:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The fish at 5/10 full I really noticed can find the fold button with a greater amount of frequency.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not such a bad thing, it allows you to take down a lot of 4-5 BB pots using aggression.
Old 05-10-2005, 10:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree completely.

Good post. I just didn't take the time to spell it all out.

The only thing I have to add is that the fish in the 5/10 full are a different brand of fish. As Bob T once said, as you move up in levels, the edges you push get smaller. The fish at 5/10 full I really noticed can find the fold button with a greater amount of frequency.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree I would say that one of the more common breeds of fish on 5/10 full has stats that look like this:

35/7/1.7; so yeah they will take a run at you more than once in a while and are not quite as helpless as the 45/2/.50 fish that I used to love at .5/1.

But to refer to 5/10 full as either tough or tight reflects a lack of understanding about those terms. I would agree that it is "tighter" and "tougher" than 2/4. But I am really not sure how much different it is from 3/6 (I only played 15,000 hands at 3/6 so I really don't have a good frame of reference).

But to answer the original posters question, there is no need to choose one or the other. I play both 6-max and full at 5/10. I play more full, because I enjoy the pace of the full game, I find it more relaxing. Usually 1-2 times a week I will play the 6-max game. I do this for my developement as a player.
Old 05-10-2005, 02:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok, I'm sorry. I was just going to leave it as a sarcastic response, but this issue really bothers me.

Anyone who says that the 5/10 full games are a "rock garden" does not know what they are talking about. Or they are just plain impatient.

Are they "better" then the 6-max games. I really don't know as I only have 5,000 hands of 6-max. I now have 27,000 hands of 5/10 full. I three table and have never had any trouble finding a decent game.

I play Pokerstars, Party, Absolute, and UB. If those sites are having a off night I open the PokerRoom or Paradise.

Do you have to be more conscious of table selection? Yes. The one thing I will agree with, is when you get on a tight 5/10 table, it can be really tight. But with all the tools that we have available to us, there is no reason to spend more than (2) orbits on such a table.

The only point that I will concede, is that for an 8-tabler it may be difficult to find 8 really good games, but from what I hear this is also true of 3/6 these days.

Anyway IMO the stuff you hear about 5/10 being a rock garden, is every bit as inaccurate as the crap you see in the micros about 1/2 full being a rock garden.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very nice to hear; thank you for sharing. I sat at a 5/10 full table at party last night for the first time (using virtually no table selection skills - just sat at a reasonably full table with a reasonable avg pot size). Checked in on a few others as well. Didn't strike me as the rock garden nightmare it is so commonly described as on these boards. Seemed very similar to an average 3/6 table.