Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-11-2005, 02:43 PM

Default Pool on ESPN vs Poker

I've been watching a lot of pool on ESPN lately (it seems to be mosly women's tournaments, and I have no idea why), and the coverage isn't bad. It definitely has some problems, like not ever mentioning how much the prize money is, or the incredibly stupid nicknames they give to every player, but overall the coverage is pretty damn good compared to the Norman Chad Lon McPherson poker coverage fiasco.

In the pool tournaments, they analyze the play, discuss the shots, think outloud about stragegy, and NOT ONCE have I heard an announcer tell an ex-wife joke--or any kind of insipid joke for that matter.

Why can't the poker coverage get anywhere near the respect the pool tournament coverage gets?

And finally, I quit watching the WPT events a year or so ago, because I just couldn't take the Sexton hype anymore, plus many of the other problems associated with that horrible broadcast. [Do they really think they could make me do a goddamn beer commercial at the end of the tournament?] It's just an unwatchable program.

But I did continue to watch the WSOP on ESPN. Last week was the final straw. They opened the program with a stupid ex-wife joke! Don't they have any idea how much their horrible coverage is hated? Now, I can't watch that program any longer, at least with the sound on. It is INSUFERABLE! It's actually PAINFUL to listen to those two [censored]ers spout off their ignorant [censored]it.

Poker on TV just keeps getting worse and worse and worse.