Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Sports Betting
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2005, 05:46 PM

Default Suicide pool picks -- your opinion please

I am one of 10 left in a suicide pool. Pot is 17,400. Due to the teams I've already taken, I am left with this decision: I can take Chicago at home over Green Bay this week and (assuming a winner) then next week San Diego at home over Miami, or I can go with San Diego at home over Oakland and then Atlanta at home over New Orleans.

I am leaning toward the Chicago/San Diego combo over the San Diego/Atlanta combo. Atlanta scares me, and I don't think New Orleans is that bad. My fear on the first one is Green Bay beating Chicago -- probably unfounded, given how good Chicago's defense is, how banged up GB is, and their respective records -- but the rivalry thing scares me.

What do you think?
Old 11-29-2005, 05:56 PM

Default Re: Suicide pool picks -- your opinion please

I'd go with Chicago/San Diego. New Orleans...well, they seem to be playing better on the road, as if they are finally getting used to not playing at home, if that makes sense. I also would feel ill picking Atlanta in any suicide poll...feels like suicide. HA I MADE A JOKE.
Old 11-29-2005, 05:56 PM

I would actually lean towards the other 2 options (SD/Atlanta), I see the probability of Chicago losing being higher than SD. Chicago seems to be slightly overrated. As for Atlanta/NO, I have to think that atlanta will win this one without difficulty.

What other teams can you pick from?
Old 11-29-2005, 05:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am one of 10 left in a suicide pool. Pot is 17,400. Due to the teams I've already taken, I am left with this decision: I can take Chicago at home over Green Bay this week and (assuming a winner) then next week San Diego at home over Miami, or I can go with San Diego at home over Oakland and then Atlanta at home over New Orleans.

I am leaning toward the Chicago/San Diego combo over the San Diego/Atlanta combo. Atlanta scares me, and I don't think New Orleans is that bad. My fear on the first one is Green Bay beating Chicago -- probably unfounded, given how good Chicago's defense is, how banged up GB is, and their respective records -- but the rivalry thing scares me.

What do you think?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you don't take Atlanta against New Orleans, you'll be pretty much shut out from using them for the rest of the year. And you may need them as they are a very good team to still be holding on to.

On the other hand, if you don't take Chicago, you'll be left without playing them unless you took them on the road in the final 2 weeks. You should look past these 2 weeks to see if you have decent matchups (unless you took them at home against Atlanta, which wouldn't be too smart). From what you told me, I'd go with SD/Atlanta. I personally am banking on San Diego this week (but I don't have a really good 2nd option).
Old 11-29-2005, 06:13 PM

Two questions:

1. Do you have any knowledge of the teams of the remaining ten?

2. What are your remaining teams, overall?

San Diego is the most obvious play this week. Its also the most suitable to hedge, if you wanted to make a small moneyline play on Oakland to win to hedge the amount of your entry fee/etc, but with ten left you're probably not in hedge country yet

I'm not a big fan of the Atlanta / New Orleans matchup. the Saints are indeed more talented than they appear and have decent upset potential in general. However, I think most of the Saints strength comes from being #6 against the pass - with the #29 rush defense against the NFL's #1 rush offense it should be a pretty easy matchup for Atlanta all things considered.
Old 11-29-2005, 06:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would actually lean towards the other 2 options (SD/Atlanta), I see the probability of Chicago losing being higher than SD. Chicago seems to be slightly overrated. As for Atlanta/NO, I have to think that atlanta will win this one without difficulty.

What other teams can you pick from?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nobody else that I would even remotely consider picking over the next 2 weeks.
Old 11-29-2005, 06:36 PM

mathematically, SD's chances of winning straight up are much higher than chicago. the packers always keep the game close even when they lose, and if favre's offense wakes up old-school style, look out. the chargers on the other hand, aren't going to be messing around on a nationally televised game at home after nearly slowplaying themselves to death against the skins.

I'm not too worried about the falcons playing the saints at home for MNF. while N.O. is theoretically capable of an upset, their record this season says otherwise. again, good teams are not going to f*ck around this late in the season, especially when the entire country is watching.
Old 11-29-2005, 06:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Two questions:

1. Do you have any knowledge of the teams of the remaining ten?

2. What are your remaining teams, overall?

San Diego is the most obvious play this week. Its also the most suitable to hedge, if you wanted to make a small moneyline play on Oakland to win to hedge the amount of your entry fee/etc, but with ten left you're probably not in hedge country yet

I'm not a big fan of the Atlanta / New Orleans matchup. the Saints are indeed more talented than they appear and have decent upset potential in general. However, I think most of the Saints strength comes from being #6 against the pass - with the #29 rush defense against the NFL's #1 rush offense it should be a pretty easy matchup for Atlanta all things considered.

[/ QUOTE ]

I appreciate everyone's interest.

The teams I have taken this year are: New England, the Jets, Eagles, Baltimore, Indy, Seattle, Washington, Pittsburgh, Jacksonville, Carolina, Denver, and Cincinnati.

Of the 10 left, 6 have already taken Chicago and 2 have already taken San Diego. 4 have already taken Atlanta.

I did go through to the end of the season and see that I will have some tough decisions to make should I be lucky enough to make it past this week and next. If Chicago is not picked this week then I will never take them, and 8-3 vs. what 2-9 is hard to pass up. SD has to be taken either this week or next. Atlanta is either next week or never; but I'm not that broken up about that one because they scare me.

Also, I like SD over Miami a whole lot more than SD over Oakland. SD/Oakland is a rivalry game, and I like to stay away from those if possible; but then the same thing can be said about Chicago/GB. I also like Miami having to travel across country for the 2nd time in 3 weeks. The Atlanta defense scares me, and a Michael Vick clunker is always possible.
Old 11-29-2005, 06:42 PM

I think you need to take Chicago's average margin of victory into account. It is about a TD. That said, I can see GB winning this game much, MUCH more often than Oakland beating SD.
Old 11-29-2005, 06:50 PM

I am also on the side of SD/Atl.

San Diego is the best choice this week with what you have left.

Atlanta, while not always playing their best game, is still fighting for position in that division. The game against New Orleans is a game they MUST win.

I didn't look past these weeks as honestly I don't care as much as you do but still having Chicago left as a remaining pick can't be all bad if you are "forced" to take them. I've seen worse situations.

Nice to see you used the Jets and Baltimore and are still in it. There has to be a game in which you can use Dallas in the last few weeks too.