Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-04-2004, 10:07 AM

Default A6o in BB

Full $20-40. I was in the big blind with A6o. Nobody raised and we took the flop five-handed with me second. The flop was A-J-2 with two spades and one diamond. Everyone checked.

The turn was queen of diamonds. It went check, check, check, check on around to the last guy. He bet. The small blind folded. I called. The next guy folded and the other guy called. Three players now with me first.

The river was the six of diamonds. I checked, the middle guy checked, the last guy bet, I called, and the middle guy barely called. Bettor showed K-10 for a straight and took it.

Tommy
Old 12-04-2004, 11:01 AM

Default Re: A6o in BB

sucks to be out of position doesn't it? I'd be curious to know what the overcaller had, knowing your play from the blinds.
Old 12-04-2004, 11:29 AM

You can't find a bet on the flop for one small bet with five SB in the pot? You dont think everyone will fold to your bet one out of 5 times?

TSP
Old 12-04-2004, 12:53 PM

I don't think this was a bad play at all. Often times no one has the ace, as was quite obvious when all checked. Now someone catches a queen, and bets. You call. You pick off their river bet with their queen as well when you check-call the river. You will of course sometimes lose to a straight (or other hand) here, but much of the time you'll pick off a bet from a weaker hand. Therefore by playing this way the play is probably +EV.

Betting the flop and getting raised doesn't give you that much information, given the two-flush on board. You may just wind up paying more for what amounts to little more information. Therefore I don't see that as a significantly viable alternative play.

However, if you check the flop and it gets bet and raised, I think you can safely fold here. You'd either be just slightly ahead or way behind. Also, if the turn gets raised you might save a bet there too.

I think you played it fine.

al
Old 12-04-2004, 03:01 PM

I like this one, too. I woulda probably bet the river though.
-James
Old 12-04-2004, 03:40 PM

If the guy in last or second to last position had bet the flop, would a check-raise by Tommy to get out stragglers be a terrible mistake even if he was behind at the moment?
Old 12-04-2004, 04:34 PM

I'm quite surprised at the lack of a bet on the river. It's pretty common for hands that can't beat a flush to just call, as well as the weaker flushes, so you often don't lose two bets when you're behind, and you can easily get a worse hand to call.

Though I probably check raise at some point, so what do I know?
Old 12-04-2004, 06:07 PM

What about all the times someone has an Ace, bigger kicker? Are you going to check call down? HOw much does this hurt, does it hurt at all?
Old 12-04-2004, 07:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You can't find a bet on the flop for one small bet with five SB in the pot? You dont think everyone will fold to your bet one out of 5 times?

TSP

[/ QUOTE ]

You did see that the flop was two-toned with two cards in the "zone", didn't you. Betting into this field, out of position with ace-nothing offsuit is not a +EV play.
Old 12-04-2004, 08:16 PM

I disagree.

TSP