Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2005, 01:16 PM

Default 25/50 straight on flushed board

Button (14k) limps. He is pretty aggressive, but not crazy. This likely means he has two cards and wants to see a flop. SB (5k) calls. I (3300) check in BB w/ Jc9c.

My image at this point is probably weak-tight.

Flop 6h Td Qh

Check, check, check.

Turn 6h Td Qh Kh

SB checks, I check, Button bets $150, SB folds, I CR to $500, Button re-raises to $1650

Thoughts?

Edited to add: 9-handed game.
Old 06-29-2005, 01:26 PM

Default Re: 25/50 straight on flushed board

How likely is it that button is raising you given your image? Is this 3 handed, or full ring?
Old 06-29-2005, 01:31 PM

I am assuming this is full ring. Therefore, the button limp confuses me, and if Villain had a flush draw you would expect him to bet it on the flop when it is checked to him.

However, I would still fold. You don't even have nut straight and you also seem to be representing baby flush and Villain doesn't seem to care.
Old 06-29-2005, 01:36 PM

sure seems like button would have bet a flush draw or a hand like a pair on the flop.
Old 06-29-2005, 01:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
sure seems like button would have bet a flush draw or a hand like a pair on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure does.
Old 06-29-2005, 01:44 PM

Does "aggressive" mean he has a propensity to bet his flush draws on the flop?

Is he capable of putting a big semi-bluff with the lone A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]?

If the answer to either of these is yes, then I would push.

I would probably put AJ out of the equation if he's more apt to open-raise on the button being aggressive, unless he has a habit of open-limping, in which case you could be screwed.

Garland
Old 06-29-2005, 01:48 PM

How many people were dealt into this hand? That should effect the various range of hands slightly.

I wouldn't expect to be shown a straight, a largish flush, or a pair on this sequence. If he is aggressive at all those seem like straightforward hands to raise preflop or bet on the flop. If he thought he was smart, he was trappy, and it was short handed then he could show up with bottom set (less likely) or two pair.

I think a small flush is your biggest problem. He might not semibluff it on the flop.

The raise might be an interesting number if it wasn't pot (I hate pot buttons). It could be a number designed to commit you but allow the button to get away from the hand.

Without knowing anything more about the player or sequence of hands leading up to this one I might push here. But lets think about this for a moment. If you push he will be getting 3:1. He probably ends up calling with a lot of hands which have reasonable equity against yours and those which have you beat badly. But, save for a few hands (Ahj), he is going to be as scared of many of the rivers as you are. You might consider calling (if he doesn't have a powerhouse he has to be thinking which fragile made hand or draw does he have) and going all in on the river (blind, but without him knowing its blind). Now he had 3:1 to call and might lay down some hands which you are behind. The downside of course is that you lose the calls on the hands you had equity against on the previous round but got scared. The drawiness of the board makes me like the stop-n-go a little better.
Old 06-29-2005, 01:57 PM

you have to fold.

position in NL rules.
Old 06-29-2005, 01:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you have to fold.

position in NL rules.

[/ QUOTE ]

What range of hands do you put him on?
Old 06-29-2005, 02:05 PM

I feel like giving this a shot even though I don't really play NL cash games.

I feel like button would take a stab at the flop if he had 2 hearts. I feel like he would raise AJ from the button. Calling only leaves you with like less the pot behind, so I just push. I really don't see him beating you here often enough for you to fold.