Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2005, 07:40 PM

Default How to get both opponents all in with top set?

100NL 6max. No reads on either opponent. Button has $17. I have $60 and BB covers.

I limp 99, UTG+1 limps, 1 fold, button limps, SB completes BB checks.

Flop is 952r. $4 in pot, SB and BB check, I bet $2. UTG+1 folds, button calls, SB folds, BB raises to $6. I call $4, button pushes for $16 total, BB calls, and I make a lame raise to $35, wanting to keep BB in, but making sure there is enough money in the pot that he will be all in by the river.

Really a dumb play by me. Drawless board, had the restraing to just call the first raise with the pure nuts, but then got frisky thinking BB was pot committed.

Sorry for the hard to read action, converter won't work for Cryptos. Can somebody give me a better line and explain why it is more effective?
Old 11-12-2005, 12:53 AM

Default Re: How to get both opponents all in with top set?

According to my calculations there should be $5 in the pot on the flop, which means you should bet about $4

when it comes back to you, here are your choices:

a) make a raise now, signaling great strength, because you are raising into a dry side pot after some one has called some one else's all in

b) flat-call, and then bet the turn, signaling great strength, because you are betting into a dry side pot after some one has called some one else's all in

b) has an advantage that there's a chance BB will lead the turn, but if he's strong enough to do that, he will probably call your flop raise (there's no reason for him to bluff a dry side pot)

which means you should go with a), because he has shown he likes his hand at least a little, and him seeing the turn card is much more likely to scare him than make him like his hand more (unless he's drawing with 34, in which case you don't want him to hit and like his hand more)

so the question is how much? I don't think it really matters. But if you don't raise all in, make sure to push the turn
Old 11-12-2005, 01:17 AM

Default Re: How to get both opponents all in with top set?

This is a kind of tricky spot, you know you have the best hand but also need to know what kind of a hand he has to be able to call this 3 bet of yours. I believe the way the action is going button may have an underset and BB has overpair (AA/KK/QQ). Now that being said, with such a dry flop his his smooth call is trying to trap you but your three bet might give away to much information to him if your a solid player. And if he did try to set his trap of what he believes to be the best hand, he is going to either CR turn or Check-Call, trying to get you pot commited depending what hand he believes that your holding. So three betting here doesn't really do anything except give away the strength of your hand give him a chance to possibly fold his overpair if he was a good enough player.