Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2005, 05:00 PM

Default Recommended Omaha Books?

Can anyone recommend any good Omaha Hi/Lo 8 or better books for someone who has recently started playing? I didn't notice any Omaha books listed on the homepage of this site. I'm sure this question has been asked before, but I'm new to the forum.

My initial goal is to be able to do well at the fixed limit and pot limit games online at lower limits. I'm doing fairly well at the $0.50-$1 fixed limit even though all I've read is the Omaha chapter in the Poker for Dummies book, but I'd like to get better so that I could move up in the limits or tackle pot limit.

I'm especially interested in any book with good discussions on the strategy differences between fixed limit and pot limit since I've never been in a pot limit game.

Thanks in advance,
Old 08-04-2005, 05:17 PM

Default Re: Recommended Omaha Books?

Here ya go.
Old 08-04-2005, 09:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm sure this question has been asked before

[/ QUOTE ]

Often, both here and in the Book Forum. Search, or just start going back through old posts. I'd recommend the latter. It's amazing how much good stuff you stumble across.

[ QUOTE ]
My initial goal is to be able to do well at the fixed limit and pot limit games online at lower limits.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your initial goal should be to do well at one game. I'd say stick with limit until you have a good grasp of the play and a good understanding of the principles, then think about expanding.
Old 08-04-2005, 10:31 PM

www.o8poker.com has book reviews on all the o8 books
Old 08-05-2005, 04:22 PM

Gergery,

For an experienced poker player who really wants to get in there and get really good at O8 fast what is the best literature? I have played a bit of O8 and feel comfortable with the game as a whole but really want to expand on my knowledge of the theory of the game. I have read zee and ciaffone years ago and will reread both when I decide to get serious, but are the beginner books still worth reading or should I just stick with ciaffone, zee and SS2 (your review makes this sound perfect for me).

I'm curious if the beginner books would be worth it right away for me or if they would be more of just an "interesting read" rather than helping me make real good money at the game.

When I decide to get into O8 I will start at the 5/10 level for a short while (probably a few thousand hands at the most) and then will quickly play at the 10/20 or 20/40 levels. That would be my goal anyways.
Old 08-05-2005, 04:26 PM

For an experienced poker player, just play. You've read those books once so you know the general idea, just get some experience. Maybe 50 hands at 1/2 to be safe, and you'll be fine.
Old 08-05-2005, 04:33 PM

Ok, I kind of thought that myself Wintermule. I have occasionally been playing the 5/10 games at party and have also touched on the 10/20 at stars in the past. No where near enough hands to know how I'm doing though. Hell, it's not enough hands to nail down a SD. Was just wondering if there was some theory out there that I should be absorbing.

When I get serious about the game, in terms of play, I want to be well informed.
Old 08-05-2005, 04:37 PM

For you the books that are best are first and foremost Zee, and perhaps if you are a book-oriented type, SS2. The rest I would not bother with.

But I agree that play and posting hands are best and that books would be secondary at this point for you.

Actually, if I were you, I'd leaf thru SS2 in bookstore and if you feel like there is a fair amount you've forgetten then get Zee or maybe SS2.

--Greg
Old 08-05-2005, 04:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For you the books that are best are first and foremost Zee, and perhaps if you are a book-oriented type, SS2. The rest I would not bother with.

But I agree that play and posting hands are best and that books would be secondary at this point for you.

Actually, if I were you, I'd leaf thru SS2 in bookstore and if you feel like there is a fair amount you've forgetten then get Zee or maybe SS2.

--Greg

[/ QUOTE ]

I still own zee so can reread easily. I will probably scan SS2 at the local bookstore. I definitely am a book person though - I like owning them and reading whatever is available on the game I am currently playing. I may buy SS2 for the Triple Draw and PLO stuff anyways someday.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I figured that posting and reading on here was likely my best bet as I do need to get into the intricate details of specific hands to really advance my play I think.