Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-01-2004, 10:53 PM

Default hand situation

This ones been bugging me, so I'm posting it here to see what peoples opinions are...

live tournament. about 30 players, mostly decent. blinds 50/100. I am one before the button. Both I and button have about 1800.

I have J10 spades.

1 limper in MP. I limp (right?/wrong?)
Button raises to 300. Blinds pass, MP passes, I call (right?/wrong?)
Flop comes Jxx with one spade. I think 'crap' and then I push in with as much confidence as possible. Is this the wrong move?

This is in a fairly small tournament, so I did figure I needed to make a good sized move at some point, but still wasn't looking to get knocked out (obviously). I had no read on the other player at the time, although in retrospect, she did say 'you called that bet?' when I called pre-flop, indicating (perhaps) that she considered it a big bet.

Button calls with KK and takes me out.
Old 04-02-2004, 01:13 PM

Default Re: hand situation

I have no huge issue with the limp, although some will. I find that once that first person limps the frequency of a raise coming diminishes. So, while I am never the first to limp I will consider after others have started it. Once the raise comes out, and MP calls, you have to start thinking they can both beat J10. Gotta fold. And even when you catch the flop with top pair, you lost your str8 and flush draws and anyone still in at this point you have to figure can beat your kicker.
Old 04-02-2004, 03:30 PM

Well, the original limper folded, leaving just me and the button. What it comes down to is me erroneously putting the button on two overcards, or possibly an underpair.
Old 04-02-2004, 04:06 PM

Fold to the preflop raise.
Old 04-02-2004, 05:40 PM

My thoughts...
The limp preflop is ok I think...
I would have folded to the PF raise since there were 2 limps in front of the raise. Especially after it is folded back to you because J10s is a hand that enjoys multi way action. After the flop i think moving in is a mistake since you will only be called by better hands here and the risk involved vs the reward of him folding his overcards is not good enough to warrent pushing.