Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2005, 12:30 PM

Default HU and 3-handed strategy info?

I was at a 6-max table with 2 huge fish, 4 handed initially. Dropped to 3 handed, then 2, then back to 3, but basically me and fish. I've seen these guys before 6-handed and a VPIP of 50-70 wasn't uncommon for them 6-handed.

I got crushed. The fishes LAGness was ideally suited to short handed and my game wasn't. I simply don't know what to do in such short handed games. Is J7o on the button a raising hand 3-handed? Does a 3-bet from the BB really mean much, should I call down A-high after that? Partly I was ran cold on cards, rarely seeing face cards, but I compounded it badly by not knowing how to play the hands I did get.

Every Ace-high and small pair I saw showdown with would lose, every good hand I couldn't get action. I was stressing every hand trying not to fold weaker, but good hands like AJ that missed, yet I found I was missing value bets right and left one things like having pocket 5's. I'd hit bottom pair with 97o and have no clue what to do.

Is there anything other than tons of play to help get the hang of such short handed play? Concepts like outs and raising for value seemed to go out the window as the pot size was almost never big enough to chase and there were never enough players to raise a drawing hand for value.
Old 12-15-2005, 01:53 PM

Default Re: HU and 3-handed strategy info?

If u run cold against a LAG HU there is nothing u can do.

But this is not a good sign:

[ QUOTE ]
I'd hit bottom pair with 97o and have no clue what to do.

[/ QUOTE ]

Against a LAG a pair on flop is huge.

Basically, when playing headsup u should almost always bet and attack when u think u got best hand, u should bet a lot when u dont know if u got best hand, and u should bet pretty often when u are pretty sure u dont have best hand.

If he never folds u should bet a little less when u are pretty sure u are behind.

If he is aggressive u should call a little more and let him hang himself when u really dont know if u are ahead and when u know he will fold if u attack with ur better hand.

If he is very passive but loose u should bet a little less when u dont know and when u are behind.

HU u often have to bet because u want to win pot if he isnt hit, which got nothing to with your own cards but with the board and what u think he is sitting with.
Old 12-15-2005, 01:55 PM

Come to think of it, since this forum now is split. Do you really play SH 10/20 or higher and got no idea how to play a superLAG headsup? Its a bit strange.
Old 12-15-2005, 02:15 PM

also J7o is still a bleh hand 3 handed. If the blinds are folding to much I will raise on occasion. HU its a raising or call hand.
Old 12-15-2005, 02:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Come to think of it, since this forum now is split. Do you really play SH 10/20 or higher and got no idea how to play a superLAG headsup? Its a bit strange.

[/ QUOTE ]

I play quite a bit of 10/20 6-max, but the games usually have the full 6 people in it.

Putting a LAG on a hand in 6-max is much easier than 3 handed, even if I end up HU on the flop.

I appreciate the condescension though.