Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2005, 09:57 AM

Default Small winnings

How difficult would it be to consistently earn and pull out about $400 per month ($15-20 per day)? What is the best way to accomplish this?

I am a low income guy and I figure if I could get remotely good, I could earn at least what I would make at a minimum wage part time fast food gig.
Old 10-26-2005, 09:57 AM

Default Re: Small winnings

8-table the $11s.
Old 10-26-2005, 10:04 AM

It depends on how much you plan to play each day.
Old 10-26-2005, 10:24 AM

i mean getting on, winning $20 and leaving and doing this every day.
Old 10-26-2005, 10:26 AM

Well, firstly poker isn't really a game where you can set any daily limit for how much you make. It's a game of huge variance where one day you could be up $100 and the next down $80, overall you have made $10 per day, but there's no way you could have any way to guarantee it would be the same set amount each and every day. Well unless you had some kind of backer I guess, but that's another matter.

The best thing to do is to play at a limit you feel comfortable at, with a number of tables you feel comfortable at. As you get better though you will want to move up limits, it doesn't have to mean you spending more time playing, but you will be making more $/hour.
Old 10-26-2005, 10:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i mean getting on, winning $20 and leaving and doing this every day.

[/ QUOTE ]
You should not do this. Go to a bookstore and find a copy of "Inside the Poker Mind" by John Feeny. Flip to the chapter about "Hit and Run Follies". It explains why this mentality is bad. Sure you might hit $20 on most days, but what happens when you go down $20 in a day? down $50? down $100? It WILL happen.
Old 10-26-2005, 10:34 AM

i disagree to a certain extent. You dont bank money by depositing , u bank it by cashing out.
Old 10-26-2005, 10:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i disagree to a certain extent. You dont bank money by depositing , u bank it by cashing out.

[/ QUOTE ]
What are you talking about?
Old 10-26-2005, 10:37 AM

It is possible to set a reasonable target each day and cash it out. Some days things will go wrong and you have to learn to accept this.
Old 10-26-2005, 10:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How difficult would it be to consistently earn and pull out about $400 per month ($15-20 per day)? What is the best way to accomplish this?

I am a low income guy and I figure if I could get remotely good, I could earn at least what I would make at a minimum wage part time fast food gig.

[/ QUOTE ]

The most difficult part of your quest would be actually earning exactly 400$ per month. I know it sounds silly, but beyond the joke there is some truth to it.

Just as some days you wont earn the 20, some months you wont earn the 400...some you will earn more. If you are playing the 11s and 1 month you earn 800, dont expect it to happen the next necessarily...Some months you might just break even, or be down...

There was a thread yesterday about this sort of...But i think if you are not playing poker for a living, IOW, you play as a hobby, just be happy to not lose and enjoy the money when it comes. When it doesnt, try to just enjoy playing and getting better. Earning ANY money with a hobby you are passionate about, where you use your mind constantly, is a great thing...just don't get into the mindset that you HAVE to make x.