Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2005, 07:37 PM

Default vitamins, what to take, where online to buy

I've taken vitamin C for last 20 years or so religiously, others not so.

What vitamins should I be taking, and what website has the lowest prices/ best vitamins.

I'm thinking CoQ10, a good multivitamin powder, C, some kind of healthy oil, maybe ginko biloba.
Old 08-08-2005, 07:43 PM

Default Re: vitamins, what to take, where online to buy

http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/browse/...equestid=48881

Something like this, just wondering if anybody has some recommendations/experiences.

If this is considered spam please remove but not original post please.

Also this link is just what came up on google I haven't used it or anything.
Old 08-08-2005, 07:44 PM

Also I think the example I posted has MSG in it, anybody know of an MSG free one?
Old 08-08-2005, 08:33 PM

I take a multi, B-complex, and chlorella. The B vitamins really help with stress... its best to take them in the morning after you've had a light meal. If you have trouble with sleep like I do they also help to regulate it a bit.
Old 08-08-2005, 09:07 PM

My bro uses who knows how many vitamins, you know health fanatic. He told me B12 vitamins were good because they helped with bloodflow to the brain, which is obviously good for poker players, I should probably go and buy some, just have been lazy about it.
Old 08-08-2005, 09:08 PM

http://www.mercola.com/forms/chlorella.htm

A random link about chlorella. I'm kinda a vitamin freak and I had never heard of it. Thanks.
Old 08-08-2005, 09:52 PM

I take magnesium, and a complete omega (3,5,7) supplement. If your diet is deficient in magnesium, then taking it helps concentration considerably(for me at least).

The chlorella thing looks pretty bogus to me, it's making completely unsubstantiated claims about 'heavy metal flushing' etc., and the warning about side effects and 'protein' metabolism raises some big question marks as well. The trouble is at the moment we have a very patchy view scientifically of what supplements are and aren't useful, when and to which people, and the amount of outright fraud associated with supplements these days is incredible.

My advice with anything like that is to research very carefully, discarding any and all reports that are found on any site that is trying to sell you something. Then conduct a controlled experiment on yourself by taking the supplement for a few days, and then stopping it and seeing what, if any, difference it makes. Repeat this process a couple of times, and record how you felt on each day. You may well be surprised. In my personal direct experience, when your body does need a supplement the difference experienced when you take it is very noticeable. And you don't get bad side effects.
Old 08-08-2005, 11:01 PM

I never really bought into the chlorella hype. Its good to take because its mainly just compacted plankton. Take it for 3 days and you'll most certainly notice a change in your bowel movements. It helps if you have a diet of mainly meat and protein and need some ruffage. I like to keep a more balanced diet, but I still take it just in case I can't get a salad before dinner.
Old 08-11-2005, 06:50 PM

Are you talking about vitamins for poker or just your health in general? Daniel Negranu is coming out with a new vitamin for poker players soon so you may want to pick that up, or just check out the bottle and find the ingredients and put your own together (probably a lot cheaper). There is a powder out called NATURAL CALM which is good at keeping your stress and axiety levels to a minimum, you just mix it with water or juices. I find Gingko Bilboa extremely beneficial at the table. Anything that helps with mental clarity and reducing stress, anxiety, and keeps adrenaline levels low can be extremely helpful in poker. Stay far away from energy drinks like Monster and Red Bull. They are loaded with sugar, and caffeine. I see people chugging these at major tournaments and it just blows my mind. Ya they might juice you up for a bit but soon you crash and then you get another one and another and next thing you know you start to completely spaz. Far as your standard daily vitamins...just pick up a good multi-v...Centrum is good. Anything by Solaray is quality. Watch out for those bargain vitamins they normally are not harnessed properly and are basically like taking water pills. If you have a specific health issue post it and I will give you some ideas on what to take. Peace.
Old 08-11-2005, 07:01 PM

For mental clarity and blood flow to the brain pick up Gingko Bilboa. It's the best vitamin out there for mental clarity. The B vitamins and Biotin help with stress, anxiety and as the previous poster noted regulating sleep. There are several B vitamins to choose from. I take just about all of them. If you have sleep problems pick up some Valerian Root. Don't get involved with Meletonin. That stuff will knock your socks off and the next day you won't know your ass from a hole in the ground. The Valerian Root is very subtle and puts you into a deep sleep, you'll have killer dreams on this stuff. And the next day you don't feel groggy.