Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2005, 10:07 AM

Default Winning big pot causes bad play

Just noticed that If given the opportunity I will often make a big mistake soon after winning a big pot.

Any big pot creates a certain amount of tension and when it works out ok there is a release. For the next couple of hands I'm too relaxed, too confident and too blase about my new chips. There is often chat between players about the last hand and I often join in, causing further distraction. I'm an online player BTW so there's little time to pause.

People sometimes talk about being vulnerable after losing a big pot but for me it's the opposite.

Anyone met this or have anything to add?

Thanks
James
Old 08-11-2005, 11:43 AM

Default Re: Winning big pot causes bad play

Went through that stage as well. The cure is to build up your discipline and not let it affect you. I 5-table so unless I get big wins on 2 or 3 tables simultaneously then I don't get too excited. Also, think about the last bad beat you took and your feelings of euphoria should dampen.

One way to prevent this is to leave the table if you doubted, tripled or quadrupled up. I find that once I quadruple the max buy-in, all the fish run away and the sharks fight to join my table.

Good luck to you.
Old 08-11-2005, 01:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I find that once I quadruple the max buy-in, all the fish run away and the sharks fight to join my table.

[/ QUOTE ]

I noticed that too, once you have 3 or 4 times the buy in, the weaker players no longer want to sit down at the table and all the rocks start joining thinking, hes got 3 buy ins he sucks or something.
Old 08-11-2005, 02:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
hes got 3 buy ins he sucks or something.

[/ QUOTE ]

You obviously have seen me play [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 08-11-2005, 03:21 PM

Remove emotion from your game. Big pot, little pot, or no pot, there should not be any emotional attachment or expectation for any hand that you play.
Old 08-13-2005, 01:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Remove emotion from your game. Big pot, little pot, or no pot, there should not be any emotional attachment or expectation for any hand that you play.

[/ QUOTE ]

While I agree that emotional detachment is good to a point, playing with no emotion removes the joy of playing. Savor the good, savor the bad.
Old 08-13-2005, 01:33 PM

i'm not too far from this.

the form of tilt that gets me most is overconfidence when I'm winning.
It's not going to be one specific pot per-se. But if I've been winning big over a day or two my play deteriorates and I go more on auto-pilot.

probably part of me starts to feel like I can't be beat during these stretches. I'll even have dreams where I'm scoring the game-winning goal in game 7 of the Stanley cup or something (which is kind of amusing since I can't even skate). I attribute these dreams to the confidence I feel in my poker-abilities when I'm winning.

It's a constant battle. I'm winning that battle more now...but I also know there are still a couple of calls or bets in there where I might not have made them before. It's something like "I can semi-bluff here and I have decent odds that he'll fold because all these guys suck anyway."
Something like that...basically I wind up getting way too aggressive and using some rather liberal pot-odds or implied-odds nonsense in my head to justify it.
Old 08-15-2005, 04:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
the form of tilt that gets me most is overconfidence when I'm winning.

[/ QUOTE ]
Poker literature is full of warnings about playing worse/tilting when losing and its generally said that play improves when winning. I've noticed it isn't that simple. Sometimes being carefree helps my game sometimes it doesn't. I even wonder whether being a bit money scared is a good thing.

Some questions:
1. Is overconfidence tilt an underestimated problem?
2. What types of people are more vulnerable to one type of tilt (winning or losing) than the other?

James
Old 08-15-2005, 08:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
"I can semi-bluff here and I have decent odds that he'll fold because all these guys suck anyway."
Something like that...basically I wind up getting way too aggressive and using some rather liberal pot-odds or implied-odds nonsense in my head to justify it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you steal that from my mind? [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]