Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2005, 12:52 PM

Default Re: I understand now!

[ QUOTE ]
I have never even heard of a server or bartender reporting all their tips.

Do any of your server friends report 100% of their tips? Or are you the only one you know of?

Just curious.

[/ QUOTE ]

My wife did, back when she bartended. Til I told her to stop doing it.
Old 10-17-2005, 07:08 PM

Default Re: Got stiffed on a tip tonight

[ QUOTE ]
Our general manager comes out and bans them from the restaurant.

[/ QUOTE ]

Coming soon outside this Applebee's:

Sign ==> CLOSED - SPACE FOR LEASE <==

or

Sign ==> HELP WANTED - MANAGER <==
Old 10-17-2005, 09:19 PM

I use to be a server. I did it for 2 years. And yes I hated when I got stiffed or shortchanged. I was a damn good server as Im a perfectionist by nature. I cannot stand shitty service or lazy servers, but not tipping at all is unacceptable. But, the bottom line is tipping by nature is focking retarded. The restuarant should be responsible for paying servers salaries, and tipping is still discretionary. All I can tell you is get a better job dude. I got a career as a correctional officer making $20 an hour, I do 1/10th the amount of work, and I dont have to be nice to people as I dont have customers to please, just inmates and pleasing them is not required. I say what goes and if they dont like it they can STFU. Its really a great job for someone who hated customer service. You couldnt pay me $50 an hour to serve again.
Old 10-17-2005, 09:43 PM

tipping is not really discretionary anymore- waiters/waitresses are paid less than the minimum wage because it is assumed they will make up that money in tips- and are required to report a certain % of thier sales on tax forms to the government regardless if they made less- and in many restaurants the servers are required to pay out another % of thier sales to the BOTH employess- again regardlesss of thier tips. While there may not be a written contract that you have to tip, it is understood that your meal costs less because servers don't get paid a living wage and it is up to you to determine what their service was worth. If you tip nothing there had better be a damned good reason for it.
Old 10-17-2005, 09:44 PM

Default Re: you\'re whacked

[ QUOTE ]
You're not entitled to a tip just because you're a server. So get over it and either realize that sometimes you are going to get stiffed, or GET OUT OF THE SERVICE INDUSTRY.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree w/ this statement. When I am a customer at a restaurant, I do not have a business license, so therefore, theoretically it is illegal for me to pay employees salaries. And as I stated before, I was a server for 2 years.
Old 10-17-2005, 09:45 PM

Applebee's. Not exactly a steakhouse.

Ah applebee's- where i "moved up" from washing dishes to serving- and then quit serving forever.
Old 10-17-2005, 09:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Good enough skills for ya? Oh yeah, there's a degree there too. I work with at least 2 other people with the same qualifications that I have. Another server has a Bachelor of Science degree in Applied Mathematics. Yep, we're all idiots.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why dont you get a better job then bro.
Old 10-17-2005, 09:53 PM

"The only group of people who regularly did not tip were Indian people.(big surprise, huh?)"

I don't know specifically about india, but "le servis est compris" (i know thats spelled wrong) in europe so many forgieners (that looks wrong to) don't tip out of habit/ignorance.