Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2005, 11:37 AM

Default How to respond?

I was in a 10+1 at party, early in the game with no reads. I was determined to play a tight game. I was wondering about how people think I should have played the following preflop situation (perhaps it is very easy but I am not sure):

Seat 1800)
Seat 3830)
Seat 4785)
Seat 5: hero (800)
Seat 72450)
Seat 8785)
Seat 9800)
Seat 10750)
Seat 4 posts small blind (10)
hero posts big blind (15)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to hero [ As, Kh ]
seat 7 folds.
seat 8 folds.
seat 9 folds.
seat 10 calls (15)
seat 1 folds.
seat 3 raises (55) to 55
seat 4 raises (85) to 95

hero?
Old 11-09-2005, 11:38 AM

Default Re: How to respond?

Fold or shove, depending on how the $11s play these days. From what I've heard, a shove is totally ok here.
Old 11-09-2005, 11:40 AM

If you think seat 3 will re-raise, I'd fold. If you don't think so, I'd call and see if I catch an A or K on the flop.
Old 11-09-2005, 11:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Fold or shove, depending on how the $11s play these days. From what I've heard, a shove is totally ok here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, I personally will fold, mainly because at my current level ($5 SNGS on stars) I believe I can outplay my opponents and finish in the money the majority of the time anyway, so doubling up here isn't really necessary, and I've rather have 800 chips than none at all.
Old 11-09-2005, 11:41 AM

I suppose shoving is OK too, I usually don't do it though. Maybe if the pot were a little bigger.
Old 11-09-2005, 11:47 AM

If you're going to play, then push. You want to see all five cards. AK push against standard range is +1.2 BB but only +.4 BB with a call (considering FE).
Old 11-09-2005, 12:28 PM

Granted I haven't played the $11s in a while, but from what I remember this is usually a sign that there's a pocket pair out there. I don't think there's enough dead money to justify a coinflip here (I could be wrong though) from a prize pool equity perspective, so I tend to go along with splashpot's first post that if you don't feel that seat 3 will reraise I'd call and look at a flop. This is hard to judge, so I figure I'd probably just call given a typical opponent.

-SonnyJay
Old 11-09-2005, 12:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you think seat 3 will re-raise, I'd fold. If you don't think so, I'd call and see if I catch an A or K on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, the reraier only minraised, so that sends up a few flags. But it is the 10's so it could mean anything.

I'd call this, if it gets popped again it's going to be an all in by someone, so you can call here and fold to a push.
Old 11-09-2005, 12:33 PM

Is there a way to calculate EV at the table (against standard hands)? I know of the online calculator, but it is not too useful in the heat of the game!! Do people just memorise the EV for each hand in a given situation?

Oh and I am sure the advice is right. I called, the flop fell:

[ 3c, 2s, Jh ]

Seat 3 bet 250 and I folded.

I couldn't bear folding AKo preflop, but I didn't have the guts to push and risk busting out of the tourney in the third hand..

In the end, I finished second.
Old 11-09-2005, 12:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I couldn't bear folding AKo preflop, but I didn't have the guts to push and risk busting out of the tourney in the third hand..

[/ QUOTE ]
You shouldn't think like this. Folding AK is perfectly fine in some situations. And it being the 3rd hand should have absolutely no impact on your decision.