Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions

Old 12-31-2004, 02:08 AM

Default Can a river get any worse? =)

I know it happens to us all, but I felt like sharing this to those of you who feel it only happens to you [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, BB calls, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, <font color="#CC3333">CO caps</font>, Button calls, Hero calls, BB calls, MP2 calls.

Flop: (21 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, BB folds, MP2 calls, CO folds, <font color="#CC3333">Button caps</font>, Hero calls, MP2 calls.

Turn: (17 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, MP2 calls, Button calls.

River: (26 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 30 BB

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
Hero has Tc Th (full house, tens full of sevens).
Button has 7c 2d (four of a kind, sevens).
Outcome: Button wins 30 BB. </font>
Old 12-31-2004, 02:10 AM

Default Re: Can a river get any worse? =)

You got in 5 big bets with your opponent drawing to 1 out. It's very hard not to put him on a 7 given the action. Well played
Old 12-31-2004, 07:58 AM

Im not really familiar with limit, but is it standard not to three bet the river? Of course you made the right play, but i just wondering because you still have the biggest full house (and second nuts).
But yea, nh. Sucks when they hit their one outter, but youll get him back next time
Old 12-31-2004, 08:01 AM

The action in this hand makes it abundantly clear that his opponent has a 7. Hero is holding two of the tens and the button coldcalledpreflop. He could have a big pocket pair but this is unlikely, as he would eventually slowdown, fearing that hero has a 7.

This hand can probably be checkfolded on the river.

-Michael
Old 12-31-2004, 08:15 AM

hmm interesting, looking back at it, youre right. Its so much easier in nl when we would have been all in on the flop or turn at latest.
Old 12-31-2004, 09:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The action in this hand makes it abundantly clear that his opponent has a 7. Hero is holding two of the tens and the button coldcalledpreflop. He could have a big pocket pair but this is unlikely, as he would eventually slowdown, fearing that hero has a 7.

-Michael

[/ QUOTE ]

Would you cold call with 72o? If someone is capable of doing that they could have had anything so I think it's worth calling the river raise with the second to nuts hand for a 30BB pot? Although I do agree that it is VERY likely he did have the 7 in the end, hence no reraise [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-31-2004, 10:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]

-Michael

[/ QUOTE ]
WHAT?????????????

There are over 25 BB in the pot before the river.

I don't think I'm folding a top boat into this size pot for 1 bet - EVER.

1 in 23 times the person will be bluffing, or overyplaying their AA, or KK.

That's all the odds I need at this point.
Old 12-31-2004, 12:44 PM

"The action in this hand makes it abundantly clear that his opponent has a 7. Hero is holding two of the tens and the button coldcalledpreflop. He could have a big pocket pair but this is unlikely, as he would eventually slowdown, fearing that hero has a 7.

This hand can probably be checkfolded on the river."

you are kidding, right? i think another t, any pocket pair bigger than tt, or any ace could be raised by these retards. i think hero is good here around 1 in 10 times, which is clearly a call with the pot this big. remember, the people at this level don't think "crap, quads beats a full house", or "tt makes a higher boat than my jj". all they see is boat, or trips with ace kicker( yes, even when the trips are on the board!) and the chips go flying.
Old 12-31-2004, 02:12 PM

I love button's CC of a raise and a cap pf with 72o.

You'll get that money back from him. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

-d
Old 12-31-2004, 06:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Check-folding the river in a pot this large is horribly weak. Incredibly weak. Fall over and faint when the guy shows his A9 weak.

For more details see Why you guys aren't crushing these Microlimit games... By Ed Miller . I would say it applies to this situation.