Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 10-07-2005, 09:40 AM

Default Re: OT: My mom wants me to be a poker pro

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
this is no different a call than a good college athlete leaving college early to take a shot at the pros

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah there's a huge difference. It lies in the use of the word 'millions.'

[/ QUOTE ]

fyp
Old 10-07-2005, 10:10 AM

You need to explain to her that online pwns live poker, and that it is best to stay in college and enjoy a (hopefully) profitable hobby. Mom's today, always wanting their kids to go pro, ignoring the hard work and downside, only seeing the dollar signs of fast, easy money...
Old 10-07-2005, 10:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
After class today (Political Theory, which totally kicks ass), I had to take my mom to the body shop where she picked up her car from repair. On the way, she nonchalantly says to me, "You know honey, you should consider moving to Reno next year." "Oh really? And do what?" "Well maybe you could take a shot at being a poker player for a year." (slience) "What?" "Clearly you're very interested in the game, and you're always telling me how much you learned that day...if you love it so much you might as well give it a try for a while. Reno's smaller than Vegas so you'll adjust better."

Okay wait what? My mom WANTS me to take a break from college and be a poker pro?

It is getting kind of chilly here.

[/ QUOTE ]
Finish college, then take a gap year to give it a go. Better to get the education done and dusted first. You've got decades of work ahead of you - the last thing you want to be doing is finding you want a change after a few years from playing poker and then going back to college very late. Reno will still be there when you finish your education.
Old 10-07-2005, 10:29 AM

Reno is the sh1t hole of the gambling world. you arent going to play much live anyway. find yerself a nice beach or mountain with ski slopes. holla
Old 10-07-2005, 10:55 AM

seriously, if ur gonna play poker for a living, do it

a) overseas
b) on water
c) in the mountains
d) wherever else appeals to you
Old 10-07-2005, 10:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Congratulations. You've got a better Mom than I had, or still have. (She thinks I'm a degenerate gambler, but never misses the Tues Night Lotto and Sat Night bingo.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Classic.. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-07-2005, 11:00 AM

Thats very odd, my parents are fine with me playing poker. It's the encouragement to go pro that I found different. Its good she is supportive though, but I have to agree with raptor, if you are moving go somewhere nice that you will enjoy for reasons other than poker.
Old 10-07-2005, 11:25 AM

Finish school first. Seriously.
(In 2+2 parlance: get through levels 1-3 before pushing).
Some things to consider:
1.Your degree will give you an amazing amount of options. Poker pro can be one of them.
2.You can continue playing online while in school, so you're not missing out.
3. Poker money (except at the very,very,very extreme upper-end) is chump change compared to a lot of other things that a young person with a sharp mind can be doing and earning.. (Homework -- what did Phil Gordon do _before_ becoming a poker pro? What's owning 5% of a $20M company worth? What's it worth if you make a 6 figure salary while your at it?)
4. Shackling up financial needs to a game you love playing changes the relationship. It's fun now making money playing when you can take time off for studying; dating; seeing concerts; going to movies; sleeping 18 hours straight -- you get the idea. Pro means professional -- you'll have to hit hard and not slack off or you'll get smoked -- ie it's a lot like work. The thing to realise is that your progress and efforts are not linear. There will be times when you're not very productive nor very focused and other times you'll be on a tear. When your on salary it's no big deal -- you probably won't even notice it. When you're self-employed it's a tremendous stress and strain. Really.
5. Mom will eventually come to terms with your being a college graduate.
Old 10-07-2005, 11:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]

5. Mom will eventually come to terms with your being a college graduate.

[/ QUOTE ]
lmao
Old 10-07-2005, 11:41 AM

My mom thinks me being a poker pro would be similar to my sister being a prostitute. She actually said this.