Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-12-2005, 09:38 PM

Default Re: A few weeks left, who are your BCS Teams?

[ QUOTE ]
WLVRYN,

Great post, but I'm a little confused to see the Big 12 in 2nd in 2 of those lists...Does Texas' greatness this year make up for the 11 other [censored] teams?

[/ QUOTE ]

I was actually pretty shocked when someone pointed these out to me since I thought it was a down year for the Big 10. I think where most of this comes from is the conferences' orevall records against non-conference teams, not just the fact that there is a great team in the conference (USC, Texas). The Big 10 was something like 45-6 non-conference, with 4 of the losses coming against teams that were/are ranked. I also think that what made the rankings better for them was that every Big 10 team was 2-1 or 3-0 in its non-conference schedule, and the Big 12 only had 1 team that was 1-2 or worse (Oklahoma). I am a little surprised that the Pac-10 is above the SEC since they have two teams with 1-2 or worse records (vs 1 in the SEC), so maybe it has something to do with strength of schedule.

Of course you could always fall back on the "We'll see how our conference does in the Bowl Games" argument, but even then, you're taking a very small sample size of games and against teams from varying conferences. I think in order to truly determine who the better conference is, you'd need a Big 10/ACC challenge type matchup similar to college basketball.

Just a personal opinion though, after watching the LSU-Alabama game this afternoon, I'm pretty sure that neither of those teams would be able to win the Big 10 with their offenses. They play great D, but almost every team in the Big 10 has an explosive offense that can put up points, and neither team would be good enough defensively week in and week out to make up for their paltry offensive production.